Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Monday, June 8, 2009
The Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) met on Monday, June 8, 2009 at 11:45 a.m. at the State Records Center, 4400 Shoal Creek Boulevard in Austin, Texas.
Sharon T. Carr
Martha Doty Freeman
Larry G. Holt
Michael C. Waters
Edward Seidenberg, assistant state librarian
Manuel Alvarez, director, Information Resources Technologies
Diana Houston, assistant director, Archives and Information Services
Deborah Littrell, director, Library Development
Beverley Shirley, director, Library Resource Sharing
Jan Ferrari, director, State and Local Records Management
Ava Smith, director, Talking Book Program
Karen Drabek, director, Administrative Services
Tracy Kuhn Lash, executive assistant
Derick Hackett, communications officer
Dawn Vogler, manager, Continuing Education and Consulting
Jeremiah Barefield, coordinator, Support Services
Gloria Meraz, Texas Library Association
Pat Tuohy, Central Texas Library System
Chairman Pickett convened the meeting at 11:53 a.m. following the meeting of the Audit Committee.
1. Approve Minutes of March 31, 2009 Commission Meeting.
Commissioner Freeman moved to approve minutes from the March 31, 2009, commission meeting. Commissioner Carr seconded. Motion passed.
Chairman Pickett introduced TSLAC Employees of the Quarter, Dawn Vogler, and Jeremiah Barefield and Jan Ferrari, new director of the State and Local Records Management division.
3. General Announcements
There were no announcements at this time.
4. Public Comment
There was no public comment at this time.
5. Review of consent agenda: non-substantive corrections in other agenda items such as spelling, numbering, punctuation, grammatical or other revisions.
Non-substantive corrections were noted.
6. Consideration of Commemorative Resolutions.
Chairman Pickett presented the commission with a resolution commemorating the service of former Commissioner Cruz G. Hernandez. Commissioner Carr moved to approve the resolution. Commissioner Waters seconded. Motion passed.
7. Review and Approve Contracts Greater than $100,000.
Beverley Shirley requested approval for the FY2010 Amigos/TExpress contract not to exceed $147,700. After discussion, Commissioner McAfee moved to approve. Commissioner Carr seconded. Motion passed.
Peggy Rudd requested approval for shelving and furniture contracts for the Lorenzo de Zavala State Archives and Library Building in a total amount not to exceed $1,894,676. Commissioner Freeman moved to approve. Commissioner Carr seconded. Motion passed.
8. Review and Approve Acceptance of Gifts Greater than $500.
Edward Seidenberg requested approval for a gift of $10,000 to the Talking Book Program, received on April 15, 2009 from Mrs. Barbara Schatzman of San Antonio, Texas. Commissioner McAfee moved to accept. Commissioner Carr seconded.Motion Passed.
9. Discussion with Department of Information Resources regarding the operation and funding of the Data Center Services program.
Chairman Pickett announced that she, Commissioner McAfee and staff would hold this discussion at a future date and report back to the full commission. No action required.
10. Review and approve Audit Committee recommendations.
Commissioner Waters moved to approve the Internal Audit of the Human Resources Function and Internal Audit of the Talking Book Program, as approved by the Audit Committee. No second is required. Motion passed.
11. Report of the Director and Librarian.
Peggy Rudd provided a written report of agency activities since the last commission meeting and answered questions regarding the report. No action required.
12. Review of the status of appropriations and funding by the Texas Legislature and the federal government for SFY 2010 and 2011.
Edward Seidenberg presented recommendations for revised budget allocations to the agency's FY2010 budget based on a $489,000 increase in the federal Library Services and Technology Act grant award. Commissioner Carr moved to approve. Commissioner Holt seconded. Motion passed.
At this point in the meeting, Chairman Pickett recessed the meeting at 1:27 p.m. Chairman Pickett called the meeting back to order at 1:45 p.m. and took up Item 14.
14. Adoption of amendments to 13 TAC 3.2, 3.3, and 3.6 regarding State Publications Depository Program.
Beverley Shirley requested adoption of amended rules 13 TAC 3.2, 3.3 and 3.6. Commissioner Carr moved to approve. Commissioner Freeman seconded. Motion passed.
15. Adoption of rule review of Chapter 8 regarding the TexShare Library Consortium
Beverley Shirley requested readoption of the rules of Chapter 8 regarding the TexShare Library Consortium and to publish notice of completion of Rule Review of Chapter 8 in the Texas Register. Commissioner Carr moved to approve. Commissioner Holt seconded. Motion passed.
At this point in the meeting, Chairman Pickett took up Item 13.
13. Authorization to propose amendments to 13 TAC 2.6 regarding Sunset dates for advisory committees.
Edward Seidenberg requested approval to publish notice of proposed rule amendments to 13 TAC 2.6 in the Texas Register for comment. Commissioner Carr moved to approve. Commissioner McAfee seconded. Motion passed.
16. Authorization to propose amendments to 13 TAC 1.86 regarding the accreditation of non-public libraries in the Texas Library Systems.
Deborah Littrell requested authorization to propose amendments to 13 TAC 1.86 regarding the accreditation of non-public libraries in the Texas Library Systems. Commissioner McAfee moved to approve. Commissioner Carr seconded. Motion passed.
17. Authorization to propose a new rule regarding the negotiated grants for the Texas Library Systems.
Deborah Littrell requested approval to post proposed new rule 13 TAC regarding system negotiated grants for comment in the Texas Register. After discussion, Commissioner McAfee moved to approve. Commissioner Carr seconded. Motion passed.
18. Adoption of the FY2010 fee schedules related to records storage and imaging services provided by the State and Local Records Management Division.
Jan Ferrari requested approval of the records storage services fee schedule and the imaging and micrographics fee schedule for FY2010. Commissioner Freeman moved to approve. Commissioner Carr seconded. Motion passed/
19. Demonstration of the new digital Talking Book machine.
Ava Smith presented the new digital Talking Book machine and demonstrated how it works to the commission. No action required.
20. Presentation of an informational video from Virginia Archives Program.
Peggy Rudd shared an information video from the Virginia State Library with the commission. No action required.
With no further business, Chairman Pickett adjourned the meeting at 2:55 p.m.
Peggy D. Rudd
Director and Librarian