Texas State Library and Archives Commission
October 2, 2012
The Texas State Library and Archives Commission Audit Committee met on Tuesday, October 2, 2012, at the National Archives and Records Administration, 2600 West 7th Street, Suite 162, in Fort Worth, Texas.
Wm. Scott McAfee, chairman
Sharon T. Carr
Larry G. Holt
Michael C. Waters
Martha Doty Freeman
F. Lynwood Givens
Sandra J. Pickett
Peggy D. Rudd, director and librarian
Edward Seidenberg, assistant state librarian
Jelain Chubb, director, Archives and Information Services
Craig Kelso, director, State and Local Records Management
Deborah Littrell, director, Library Development and Networking
Ava Smith, director, Talking Book Program
Cesar Garza, communications officer
Tracy Kuhn Lash, executive assistant
Preston Huff, regional liaison, National Archives and Records Administration
Marty Parker, CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP
Gloria Meraz, Texas Library Association
Commissioner McAfee called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. Preston Huff welcomed the commission to the National Archives and explained the operation of the National Archives facilities.
- Review and approve the Audit of Grant Management Processes.
Marty Parker presented the Audit of Grant Management Processes which examined the agency’s handling of 23 competitive grants totaling $778,027 in federal funds to Texas libraries and nonprofits in State Fiscal Year 2012. The audit suggested improvements in payment methodology and strengthening controls over expenditures, but grant application and accounting processes are generally effective and operating as intended. Commissioner Carr moved to approve. Commissioner McAfee seconded. Motion passed.
- Annual review of the charter, activities and organizational structure of the Audit Committee.
Edward Seidenberg asked the committee to review and revise the Audit Committee’s charter, activities and organizational structure that CliftonLarsonAllen recommends conducting annually. After changes were noted in the charter, Commissioner Carr moved to accept the Audit Committee Charter. Commissioner Holt seconded. Motion passed.
- Review and approve the Audit Report for FY 2012.
Marty Parker informed the committee that the Audit Report for FY 2012 would be forwarded to them at a later date.
- Review and Approve the Annual Risk Assessment and Audit Plan for FY 2013.
Marty Parker presented the risk assessment and audit plan for FY2013 that includes:
- follow-up review of findings from the FY 2011 internal audit of the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center
- internal audit of the Information Resources Technologies Division, as required by state law
- internal audits of vendor contracting processes and travel expenditures
- audit to assess the accuracy of employee data reporting
Grant recipients who will be audited in FY 2013 include the Central Texas Library System, Houston Community College System, Dallas Public Library and Schulenburg Public Library. Commissioner Carr moved to approve the plan. Commissioner Holt seconded. Motion passed.
- Review and Approve the Contract for Internal Audit Services for FY 2013.
Marty Parker presented the proposal for internal audit services for FY 2013. Commissioner Carr moved to approve the proposal. Commissioner Holt seconded. Motion passed.
- Review of site visit by National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
Ava Smith presented a report of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped site visit conducted March 2012 noting that the site visit and report are routine oversight functions of NLS conducted every two years. Commissioner Carr moved to accept the report. Commissioner Holt seconded. Motion passed.
There being no further business before the Audit Committee, Commissioner McAfee adjourned the meeting at 10:04 a.m.
Peggy D. Rudd
Director and Librarian