Texas State Library and Archives Commission
February 19, 2016
The Texas State Library and Archives Commission met in Strategic Planning Session on Friday, February 19, 2016 at the UT Commons Learning Center, 10100 Burnet Road, Austin, Texas.
Michael C. Waters, chair
Sharon T. Carr, vice chair
F. Lynwood Givens
Larry G. Holt
Wm. Scott McAfee
Mark Smith, director and librarian
Donna Osborne, chief operations and fiscal officer
Manuel Alvarez, director, Information Resources Technologies
Jelain Chubb, director, Archives and Information Services
Craig Kelso, director, State and Local Records Management
Deborah Littrell, director, Library Development and Networking
Ava Smith, director, Talking Book Program
Tracy Kuhn Lash, executive assistant
Vanessa Siordia, Human Resources manager
Latha Ramachandran, payroll, benefits, and staff development coordinator
Donna Warren, office manager, Administrative Services
Chairman Waters called the meeting to order at 8:30 a.m. Friday, February 19, 2016, and turned the meeting over to Mark Smith who led the group through consensus building discussions to define broad goals for the Agency Strategic Plan. The following are the goals agreed upon by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission:
- To articulate and advance the value of Texas libraries as essential to our communities and state.
- To recruit and retain the knowledge-based workforce necessary to discharge the agency’s duties.
- To safeguard, preserve, and provide access to informational and historical assets such as the Regional Historical Resources Depositories and the Talking Book Program
- To acquire the technology necessary to effectively, securely, and efficiently manage agency resources.
- To secure the state’s official records by addressing the immediate need for additional archival storage and provide for the growth of Texas records.
- To support efforts to ensure digital inclusion for Texas.
- Continue to refine our response to the informational needs of the increasingly diverse Texas population.
- Continue to develop the Texas digital archive as a vital information resource for all Texans.
The commission directed staff to develop these goals into specific objectives and strategies for implementation, in the agency’s Legislative Appropriations Request for the next biennium.
The commission also agreed upon a new Mission, Vision, and Philosophy for the agency as follows:
Vision - Texans will have access to information they need to live informed, productive lives.
Mission - To provide Texans access to the information needed to be informed, productive citizens by preserving the archival record of Texas; enhancing the service capacity of public, academic, and school libraries; assisting public agencies in the maintenance of their records; and meeting the reading needs of Texans with disabilities.
Philosophy - The Texas State Library and Archives Commission and staff believe all people have the right to barrier-free access to library and information services that meet personal, educational, and professional needs, provided by well-trained, customer-oriented staff. We strive to attain and hold the public trust by adhering to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and accountability.
There being no further business before the commission, Chairman Waters adjourned the meeting at 11:32 a.m.