Hazardous Business
Illustration
Industry, Regulation, and the Texas Railroad Commission

Ruins of the Caldwell depot, July 24, 1986

Back to exhibit

Ruins of the Caldwell depot
Ruins of the Caldwell depot
 

Caldwell in Burleson County had been a meeting place for west-bound travelers ever since the days of the Old San Antonio Road. In 1880, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway built its main line through Caldwell and located the depot a half mile from the courthouse square. Caldwell became an important shipping point for the area. By 1905, in addition to shipping traffic, six passenger trains were arriving in the town daily. In 1912, a second railroad, the Houston & Texas Central (later Southern Pacific), built a new line and began freight and passenger service. Today, freight traffic continues to move through Caldwell, but the passenger trains have long since been replaced by buses.

Back to exhibit

Railroad Commission of Texas, Rail Division, Railroad history files. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
.

Page last modified: August 17, 2011