Hazardous Business
Industry, Regulation, and the Texas Railroad Commission

A gas well in Petrolia, Clay County

Back to exhibit

Gas well in Petrolia

As an oil boom town, Petrolia was overshadowed by the fabulous discoveries at Electra and Burkburnett, but drilling continued when it was discovered that the field held the largest known reserve of natural gas in the state. The Lone Star Gas Company was founded in 1909 to manage the extraction and sale of the gas, and by 1913, the field was serving the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth as well as a number of smaller towns. In 1915, the field was also mobilized as a source of helium gas for the U.S. Army.

Back to exhibit

W.D. Hornaday Collection, Prints and Photographs Collection, Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission. 1975/70-3654.

Page last modified: August 18, 2011