The Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) contracts with Amigos Library Services to a manage a statewide courier program, TExpress/Trans Amigos Express (TAE), that facilitates the delivery of interlibrary loan items between Texas academic and public libraries. In addition to more than 240 participating libraries in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, the courier connects to the Mid-America Library Alliance (MALA), MOBIUS consortia, and Kansas Library Express (KLE) courier services, providing access to more than 600 additional libraries in Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Illinois, and Iowa for no additional fee. No matter what level of service you choose, you will be able to ship to this extended circle of participating libraries at no extra cost.
TSLAC provides subscription subsidies for eligible TexShare libraries participating in the courier program. Subscription fees and subsidies for FY 2021, September 1, 2020 – August 31, 2021, are (prices will be prorated for joining mid-year):
|Delivery Service||Annual Courier|
|TexShare Subsidy||Final Cost to TexShare Libraries|
|5-days per week||$5,810||$1,743||$4,067|
|3-days per week||$3,965||$1,190||$2,775|
|2-days per week||$3,044||$915||$2,129|
Texas public libraries using Navigator for interlibrary loan management can have their Navigator Request Engine (NRE) account configured to send borrowing requests strictly to other courier libraries or to courier libraries first and then to non-courier libraries. To set this up, please use the Report a Problem link in NRE and let OCLC know your preference.
Libraries may also ship non-ILL materials through the courier using the appropriate guidelines found here: https://www.amigos.org/node/144
Amigos courier responsibilities:
- Provide participants with branded shipping bags for packing and transporting materials
- Provide training resources to participants
- Provide responsive service to all current and potential participants
Library courier responsibilities:
- Report monthly shipping and receiving statistics, holiday closures, missing item, and service disruptions to Amigos through their website
- Subscribe at least one staff member to the Trans Amigos Express/TExpress mailing list by emailing email@example.com with library name and contact information
- Respond to the annual satisfaction survey sent out by Amigos in June
Amigos staff are motivated to stay in touch with current and potential courier participants, so if you have a particularly great driver experience, or any service concerns, or if you’re curious about the potential for savings with your ILL delivery, please contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the courier program is available on our website at https://www.tsl.texas.gov/texshare/texpressfaq.html.