The Public Library Association’s (PLA) 2022 Public Library Services for Strong Communities survey is open and accepting responses through Saturday, December 10. All U.S. public libraries are invited to complete this new survey to help us better understand how public libraries across the nation contribute to sustaining their communities now and into the future. The survey was developed in response to field-wide discussions and interest in actionable data about library programs, services, facilities, and partnerships.
Reasons why your library should complete the survey:
- Library leaders need up-to-date and accurate information about the broad range of services libraries provide and the role they play in meeting community needs. PLA will share the results in a freely and publicly accessible report.
- Contribute to powerful, actionable, and inspirational results for library staff across the country that can help to answer pressing questions such as:
- What are current and emerging types of programs, services, and facilities in public libraries?
- How do these services meet community needs and foster resilience?
- What types of partnerships do libraries have and how do they support our communities?
- What challenges do libraries face in expanding programs and services?
- The results will provide nationally representative data to inform and engage elected officials, the media, and funders to increase awareness of and support for libraries and library workers.
- Your participation helps PLA create tools, resources, and professional development opportunities that are more useful for you in building and advancing services at your library.
- The 2022 survey data will create a baseline. When this survey is next administered in 2025, we will be able to see how the field has evolved. We will be able to track and share these trends with the profession.
To access the survey, please go to https://librarybenchmark.org/. Login to your library’s Benchmark account, click on “Surveys” and you will see this survey listed under “Open Surveys.” If you need to reset your password, use the “forgot your password?” link on the login page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. All libraries have free access to Benchmark to complete open surveys, view past survey responses and key metrics, and update contact details. Please submit your library’s responses by December 10, 2022.