June 23-29 is Broadband Across Texas Week!
Broadband Across Texas Week is a great opportunity for your library to celebrate your work in public computing and to attract some well-deserved press attention! This week-long community awareness campaign is led by the Texas Connects Coalition (TXC2), a Broadband Technology Opportunities Program grantee based in Houston that runs 90 computer centers in the Austin, Houston, San Antonio, central Texas and Brazos Valley regions.
TXC2 invites public libraries to participate in Broadband Across Texas Week by spreading the word about the importance of digital literacy and broadband across the state.
How can libraries participate?
- Focus on promotion this week! And boost computer class attendance!! Get the word out that your library offers free access to the internet and computer classes by calling local community organizations, your paper and radio stations!! If every single library focused on promotion this week, we could create state-wide BUZZ!
- Libraries are encouraged to plan special programs/events in their computer centers this week.
- You can turn a planned program/computer class into a Broadband Across Texas event by adding an interesting twist or refreshments and prizes to draw a larger crowd OR you can host an open house and invite community members who otherwise are not using your computer center. Be creative!
- We have customizable flyers ready for you to use.
- We have two Broadband Across Texas Week graphics for you to use in any press releases or event announcements.
- We are happy to help you brainstorm event ideas!
Want more information?
- Contact Denise Hendlmyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 463-2214 for more information on Broadband Across Texas Week and for collateral materials.
- Also please let Denise know if you plan to participate so that TXC2 can include your library name on the event site.
- Information is also available on the TXC2 webiste!