FREE Online Course Options for Library Staff
Library staff have several options to access free online courses from the Texas State Library & Archives Commission.
The Library Development & Networking Division of the Texas State Library & Archives Commission offers all library staff the opportunity to take self-paced, online courses on a variety of library topics through our Online Training site. Although the majority of our offerings are courseinars (short online course versions of our archived Webinars), we offer several full-fledged courses on topics ranging from youth services to technology to reference.
How Can I Start Taking Courses Via TSLAC's Online Training Site? View our Online Training How-To Video Playlist on Youtube. Prefer text instructions? We've included some below.
- If you don't have already have one, create an account on our Online Training site by clicking "create new account" under the login area. After you submit your account registration form, you'll receive an automatic email and will need to confirm your account by clicking on the link in the email message.
- Once logged in to the site:
-- if you are not enrolled in any courses and/or if it is your first time to log in to our site, you can view our course catalog (arranged by category) by clicking the "Courses" link in the Navigation block that is located along the top left of your home login page. Click the category titles to expand the categories and view summaries of available courses. If you decide you'd like to take a course, be sure you are logged in to the site and then click the course title. If you are automatically taken to the course home page, be sure to click the "enroll me in this course" link that is located on the far left side of the course home page. You should then see an "enrollment options" page and you will need to scroll to the bottom of that page and click the "enroll" button as the final step. Once enrolled, you should see the course home page again and should work your way through the course from the top down.
-- if you are currently enrolled in a course or courses, their course titles will display on your login page. Click the course titles to gain access to your courses. To browse the rest of our course catalog, click the "Courses" link located in the Navigation block along the top left of your login page. Follow the same instructions mentioned previously to learn about and/or enroll in additional courses.
Note: Many of our courses offer guest access -- the ability to access course content without having to enroll (or even have an official account) on our Online Training site. However, if you would like to be able to print an official Certificate of Completion, you will need an official account AND you will need to enroll in the course BEFORE you begin to complete any coursework.
Over 500 self-paced online technology and business courses are at your fingertips! The State Library, through an arrangement with WebJunction, makes training opportunities available to Texas Library staff, 24/7. Courses on customer service, leadership, management, desktop software and more are available, including over 30,000 short instructional videos.
Getting Started – Request An Account
In order to verify that you are a Texas user, and so you can track your course progress, you need a Skillport login.
Visit webjunction.skillport.com and click on the Register link at the bottom center of the page.
Fill in your information as prompted -- you will need to create your own User ID and password and be sure to select Texas as your state sponsor. Please note that the User ID must adhere to these rules:
- the user name cannot start with an apostrophe (') or a dash (-)
- neither non-breaking white spaces (space, tab, new line) are allowed
- the following characters are not allowed: <> [ ] ( ) ; \ /
- the user name is not case sensitive (it is converted to lowercase by the system)
- the following characters are allowed: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 0123456789 @ $ _ . ~ ' -
Submit your account request. Your request will be confirmed within 2 working days or less by WebJunction staff. Once approved, you will receive an email confirmation and can log in with the User ID and Password you chose, and start learning!
Navigating the Texas Skillport Site
Once logged in to webjunction.skillport.com, explore the following helpful features:
- To find learning opportunities, click on The Library link at the top of the screen to browse the courses, videos and job aids.
- You can also use the Search function at the top of the page to search all of the available content.
- A course, video or job aid can be launched directly from Search or the Catalog listings, or you can add it to your Learning Plan to come back to later. The Learning Plan allows you to create a personal learning plan of the courses you wish to take.
- Once you begin using the courses, you can print certificates of completion and reports of your learning history in the Learning Transcript section. Here you will see both courses you have launched and are still working on, as well as courses you have completed.
- Having trouble using Skillport? View online help files or contact Skillsoft Technical Support at email@example.com or 866-754-5435.
For more information about any of our online course options, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 512-463-5465 or 1-800-252-9386 (toll-free for Texas).
WebJunction is available for library staff to take free, self-paced, online courses on a variety of library management, software and soft-skills topics. You can also participate in live webinars or view archived webinars anytime, anywhere. Receive certificates of completion for your work, and keep track of your courses with a convenient personal login. WebJunction also publishes their Crossroads newsletter twice a month with articles and information about upcoming events.
Visit learn.webjunction.org to browse courses and archived webinars. Once you find a course you would like to take, select the title and follow the instructions on right of page to Create New Account. Returning users are prompted to login to access in-progress courses.
WebJunction Resource Pages, Calendar of Upcoming Free Webinars
WebJunction also maintains great Resource pages on different library-relevant topics, and you can explore these topics via webjunction.org here. Plus, you can view a list of upcoming free WebJunction webinars here.
For more information about any of our online course options, email us at email@example.com, or call 512-463-5465 or 1-800-252-9386 (toll-free for Texas).
Free PDF Reader available here.