Marketing, Cooperation and PR
Marketing your programs is as important as planning and presenting programs. Children won't attend even the most wonderful programs unless they and their parents are aware of them. Develop a media kit for reading club programs and related activities that provides information about the events and includes:
- Press releases
- A schedule of events
- A feature story about the reading club
- Public service announcements
- Letters to newspapers, schools, city officials about the events
Tips on Writing Publicity Releases
- Double-space all releases
- Limit it to one page
- Write short, concise paragraphs that include all essential information: who, what, where, when, why, and how
- Include library hours, phone number, and location. Do not assume the reader knows anything about the library.
- Attach a Texas Reading Club flyer to your news release
For more information about publicity, please read Marketing the Texas Reading Club, available from the TSLAC. Please contact Anne Ramos at 1-800-252-9386 or firstname.lastname@example.org for ordering information.
Sample Public Service Announcement
For further information, please contact:
Audience: Children and Families
Celebrate Texas at the ___________________ Library this summer! Check out books, travel from Laredo to Amarillo or learn about coyotes and rattlesnakes! Attend programs for children from preschool through Young Adult. "Read Across Texas!," the 2002 Texas Reading Club begins on ___________________ (Date). Pick up a calendar of events at ____________________ (Library) and come and join in the fun!
For more information, please call _________________________ (Phone).