- Aero and Officer Mike Police Partners by Kris Turner.
- Case of Dog Camp Mystery by Judy Katschkle.
- The Great Corgiville Kidnapping by Tasha Tudor.
- Jane Morton, Dog Detective by Eve Bunting.
- Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathman.
- Bomb Detection Dogs by Charles George.
- Five True Dog Stories by Margaret Davidson.
- Original Adventures of Hank the Cow Dog by John Erickson.
- SAM: Dog Detective by Mary Labatt.
Stamp the children's hands with the Kidstamp's "Officer Buckle and Gloria" stamp.
Use puppets to tell "Doggie Policeman" from Stories To Play With by Hiroko Fujita.
Milk Carton Puppets
(Adapted from Stories To Play With by Hiroko Fujita.)
- Milk or juice cartons (pint or quart)
Open the carton top, cut two opposite corner edges (diagonally from each other) leaving two inches uncut at the bottom of the carton as shown in the illustrations here. Open up the cut carton by pushing in on the uncut corners/edges and folding the flaps back so the inside of the carton is showing. When open very wide, draw or paste faces and bodies of animals or people on the carton. The open flap is the mouth. Trim extra carton. Children can create any puppet. An example of how milk carton puppets may be used for puppet shows is the "Doggie Policeman" in Stories To Play With by Hiroko Fujita. For this puppet show, a police dog and a cat puppet are required.
Origami Dog Puppet
- Origami or plain copy paper
- Craft stick
Fold the square piece of paper as shown in illustrations here. Draw a face and attach it to a craft stick.
Sing "I Am Detective Dog" and/or "Oh Where Oh Where Has Detective Dog Gone" using puppets created from either craft activity shown above. Have children write additional verses so the puppets can interact.
Invite a representative from a dog club or pet store to present a dog training demonstration. Or, ask if your police department uses dogs and invite an officer and his or her dog to come and explain training and duties.
- Scooby Doo: Phantom of the Knight.
- Scooby Doo: Showdown in Ghost Town.
Stories To Play With by Hiroko Fujita.