I Spy Numbers
- 12 Ways to Get to 11 by Eve Merriam.
- The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins.
- Math Curse by John Scieszka.
- Missing Mittens by Stuart Murphy.
- Mission Addition by Loreen Leedy.
- Grapes of Math by Greg Tang.
- How Much is a Million? by David Schwartz.
- If You Made a Million by David Schwartz.
- Math for All Seasons by Greg Tang.
Place book jackets of books about math and numbers on the bulletin board. Surround them with numbers and simple mathematical equations in various colors and sizes.
Hang large numbers from the ceiling.
As children enter storytime area, give them nametags shaped like various numbers from 1 to 5.
"Enumeration" from Ring A Ring O'Roses by Flint Public Library.
- "Arithmetic" by Carl Sandburg in The New Oxford Treasury of Children's Poems by Michael Harrison.
- "One To Ten" by Janet S. Wong in Marvelous Math by Lee Bennett Hopkins.
"Three Blind Mice"
The Doorbell Rang
Read The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins. Place 12 large felt chocolate chip cookies on a flannelboard. As friends arrive and cookies are shared, do the math with the children and divide cookies appropriately on the flannelboard. For example, there are 4 children and 12 cookies, 12 divided by 4 = 3, each child
has 3 cookies. When Grandma arrives, add a gray felt square with 2 dozen smaller cookies on it.
- "Five Little Chickens" in The Flannel Board Storytelling Book, 2nd Edition by Judy Sierra.
- "Bridge of Crocodiles" in The Flannel Board Storytelling Book, 2nd Edition by Judy Sierra.
- Small stickers
- Glue stick (optional)
- Construction paper (optional)
Precut the numbers one through five from construction paper. Give each child three to five different numbers and an assortment of stickers. The children affix one sticker to the number one; two stickers to the number two and so on. Optional: Children glue the numbers with the sticker on them to a large piece of paper.
I Spy Numbers
Hide large number shapes around storytime area and let the children hunt for them.
Number Flash Cards
Print Jan Brett's Numbers at www.janbrett.com/numbers/numbers_flash_cards_main.htm. Show the children the cards one by one and ask them to read the numbers with you.
- How Much Is A Million? (12 minutes)
- If You Made A Million. (12 minutes)
Scholastic Kids Fun Online Games and Contests
Jan Brett's Numbers
- The Flannel Board Storytelling Book, 2nd Edition by Judy Sierra.
- Marvelous Math by Lee Bennett Hopkins.
- The New Oxford Treasury of Children's Poems by Michael Harrison.
- Ring A Ring O'Roses by Flint Public Library.