Something About the Artist, Frank Remkiewicz
Frank Remkiewicz always liked to read and draw, so it is not surprising that he became an illustrator. After graduating with honors from the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles, Frank began his career as a graphic artist. In fact, one of his first assignments as a commercial artist was redesigning the Animal Crackers™ box. He also created thousands of greeting cards before finally fulfilling his dream to become a children’s book illustrator.
Children’s book illustration is a tough business and Frank did not get a break until he attended a conference that featured Maurice Sendak in the mid-1980s. At the conference, he met some of the staff from Viking Children’s Books. A month later, he had his first assignment illustrating one of the Horrible Harry books.
Although his most popular characters are Froggy in Froggy Gets Dressed and other books by Jonathan London and Horrible Harry in the series by Suzy Kline, Frank has illustrated more than 60 books and has even written a few of his own. Born in Connecticut, Frank and his wife currently live in Sarasota, Florida. They have three children.
Books illustrated by Frank Remkiewicz include:
- Froggy juega al fútbol by Jonathan London.
- Froggy Learns to Swim by Jonathan London.
- Froggy Plays Soccer by Jonathan London.
- Froggy’s Day with Dad by Jonathan London.
- Horrible Harry and the Kickball Wedding by Suzy Kline.
- Horrible Harry Goes to Sea by Suzy Kline.
- Let’s Go, Froggy by Jonathan London.
- Piggy and Dad Go Fishing by David Martin.
- Piggy and Dad Play by David Martin.
- Seaweed Soup by Stuart J. Murphy.
- Author Tracker
- This HarperCollins web site includes quotations from Frank Remkiewicz about his life.
- The Men Behind Everyone’s Favorite Frog
- This site includes information about the author and illustrator of the Froggy books, along with on-line games and activity sheets.