This manual is created for the 2009 Texas Reading Club, a program of the Library Development Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. The theme is “Libraries: Deep in the Heart of Texas!” in English and “¡Bibliotecas: En lo más profundo del corazón de Tejas!” in Spanish and invites children to explore Texas symbols, history, geography, legends, plants, animals, and culture.
The 2009 Texas Reading Club manual is available on CD-ROM and online at the Texas State Library web site, http://www.tsl.texas.gov/ld/projects/trc/2009/manual/. Children’s book illustrator, Joy Fisher Hein, created the artwork for the 2009 Texas Reading Club. Sue Young created an original theme song. Youth librarians from cities large and small throughout Texas wrote the chapters for the 2009 manual. The CD-ROM and the online manual include exquisite artwork by Joy Fisher Hein and a musical recording of the theme song by Sue Young. Please read about Joy Fisher Hein, Sue Young, and the librarians who wrote manual chapters in the “Something about the Artist” and the “Something About the Authors and Songwriters” sections of this manual.
There are many exciting elements in the 2009 Texas Reading Club manual, including:
- A Bilingual Programs Chapter that highlights the Para los niños family literacy program developed by the Houston Public Library and the Houston Children’s Museum.
- A Celebrations Programs Chapter with ideas for programs to kick-off and end Texas Reading Club festivities.
- Two wonderful puppet plays.
- Chapters with programming ideas for toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary school children.
- A chapter with ideas for science and math programs for children of all ages.
The chapters contain many suggestions for books, songs, rhymes, crafts, activities, and more. As you explore them, you will find many exciting ideas for planning and hosting an enjoyable and successful 2009 Texas Reading Club.
I would like to express my gratitude to the artist, the authors, the songwriters, and say a special thank you to the librarians who bring this program alive by offering it to children throughout Texas each year.
Youth Services Consultant
Texas State Library and Archives Commission