Texas Teens Read!
Game On! TTR.08
JPEG or GIF Images
For each piece of clip art there are multiple images including line art, gray scale art, and eventually, colored art. Each is provided in two different sizes. These images can all be resized but a small image may 'fall apart' when enlarged. If you are enlarging an image, start with the largest one available. There are many ways to resize a JPEG or GIF image, and most computers come with some type of free image editor, but resizing can also easily be done in MS Word – instructions are listed below.
How to download a JPEG or GIF image file
- Click the "Download JPEG & GIF" button beneath the image you want to download and a new window will open that has several similar images
- Move your curser over the image you wish to download (the image you download will be the same size and resolution as the one you view on the download page)
- RIGHT click on the image you've chosen and a list of choices will appear
- LEFT click on "Save Picture As..." then use the "Save As" dialogue to save the file to your computer in a location from which you can later retrieve it, OR
- From the same menu that includes "Save Picture As..." you will also find one a little lower down that reads "Copy" – you can just select this option, open your MS Word document and from the Edit menu at the top of the page select "Paste" and your image will be placed where ever your curser was in your Word document. (If you don't find "Paste" in under this menu, click the arrows at the bottom of the menu to open all the options.) If you choose this method, skip to #4 in the instructions immediately below to resize the image.
How to insert and resize a JPEG or GIF image in MS Word
If you chose to "Save Picture As..." above and and saved the image to your computer hard drive (in a location where you can later find it – your Desktop is usually a handy place), you will insert it into your MS Word document to adjust its size.
- From the menu at the top of your MS Word document select the "Insert" option.
- From the "Insert" menu, select "Picture", then "From File" (Again, if you don't find "Paste" under this menu, click the arrows at the bottom of the menu to open all the options.)
- This will open up your directory for you to browse for the image you saved earlier – once you have found and selected the image, click the "Insert" button to place the image in your MS Word document (it will appear where ever your curser was located before inserting the image).
- Once the image is viable in the document, click on the image to select it.
- To resize the image use your mouse to select a corner of the selected image and drag in or out to reduce or enlarge. It is important to adjust the size using the corner of the image to keep the image in proportion.
Once you have your image(s) in your MS Word document sized as you wish, you can save the document and return later to use the images. You will be able to select an image and "Copy" then "Paste" it into another MS Word document or into an email message.
The PDF format allows a safe and easy way to transport, save and print high resolution images. You will most likely use these files if you are using the images in paper. They can be printed on your printer then cut and pasted into a brochure or flyer design. Each of the Texas Teens Read! Game On! TTR.08 clip art images have been provided in six different sizes – each are placed in one PDF file that contains two separate pages. PDF files cannot be electronically reduced or enlarged (except by a professional graphic artist). You can, however, use the reduction/enlargement feature on your copier to create additional sizes should you need them.
How to download a PDF file
- You will need to have the Adobe Reader® installed on your computer to open a PDF file. Click here to download the free software.
- Back on the Texas Teens Read! Game On! TTR.08 Downloadable Clip Art page, click the "Download PDF" button beneath the image you want to download.
- A dialogue window will open asking you to "Open" or "Save" the file. Click "Open" and the PDF File will open in a new browser window. If you click "Save" you will be directed to save the file to your computer and you will need to navigate back to that saved file to open it in the Adobe Reader®.
- When the PDF file is open, click on "File" from the top menu. From this menu you will have the option to save and/or print the file.