PART II: SURVEY REPORT
II. THE TEXAS LIBRARY SYSTEM
The Texas Library System is a statewide program with an objective "to improve services for public library users and expand services to the unserved." The Texas Library System program uses a combination of federal and state (general revenue) funds to support these activities.
The Library Systems engage in a wide range of activities including administration, automation, collection development, consulting, continuing education, publicity, resource sharing, reference backup, satellite training and teleconferencing, youth services, special projects (e.g. literacy, networked resources), and technological support.
There are ten Library Systems (FY2001 figures):
- The Alamo Area Library System (AALS), headquartered in San Antonio, with 44 member libraries and one non-member library.
- The Big Country Library System (BCLS), headquartered in Abilene, with 37 member and five non-member libraries.
- The Central Texas Library System (CTLS), headquartered in Austin, with 67 member and four non-member libraries.
- The Houston Area Library System (HALS), headquartered in Houston, with 67 member and two non-member libraries.
- The Northeast Texas Library System (NETLS), headquartered in Garland, with 98 member and eight non-member libraries.
- The North Texas Regional Library System (NTRLS), headquartered in Fort Worth, with 71 member and one non-member library.
- The South Texas Library System (STLS), headquartered in Corpus Christi, with 52 member and two non-member libraries.
- The Texas Panhandle Library System (TPLS), headquartered in Amarillo, with 28 member and three non-member libraries.
- The Texas Trans-Pecos Library System (TTPLS), headquartered in El Paso, with 15 member libraries and one non-member library.
The West Texas Library System (WTLS), headquartered in Lubbock, with 34 member and one non-member library.
For purposes of the in-depth evaluation, the 10 Library Systems were surveyed along with all member libraries. This section of the report presents an analysis of the data provided by the 10 Library Systems and by 422 library members of the Systems.