Small Library Management Program
Completion of the Small Library Management Training Program (SLM) program consists of taking courses/workshops for 4 required core components: Management & Leadership Essentials, Collection Development, Reference, and Technology:
1-Management & Leadership Essentials (3 day in-person workshop)
Register here for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015
- San Marcos (San Marcos Public Library ) -- September 8-10, 2014
- Uvalde (El Progreso Memorial Library) -- September 15-17, 2014
- Mount Pleasant (Mount Pleasant Public Library) -- September 22-24, 2014
- Abilene (Abilene Public Library) -- September 29-October 1, 2014
- Amarillo (Amarillo Public Library) -- October 6-8, 2014
- Harlingen (Harlingen Public Library) -- October 13-15, 2014
- Fort Davis (Jeff Davis Co. Courthouse) -- October 20-22, 2014
- Angleton (Brazoria Co. Library System) -- November 3-5, 2014
- Llano (Llano County Public Library) -- February 4-6, 2015
- Whitesboro (Whitesboro Public Library) -- February 9-11, 2015
- Odessa (Ector Co. Public Library) -- February 23-25, 2015 (canceled due to inclement weather)
- Hillsboro (Historic City Hall) -- March 2-4, 2015
- San Angelo (Tom Green Co. Library System) -- March 9-11, 2015
- Lubbock (Lubbock Public Library) -- March 23-25, 2015
- Diboll (TTL Temple Memorial Library) -- March 30-April 1, 2015
- Beeville (Joe Barnhart Bee County Library) -- April 27-29, 2015
- Odessa (Ector County Library) -- May 6-8, 2015 (* Note: For this workshop, Financial Management with Arta Kabashi will occur on Day 1 on Wed, May 6 and will end at 3:30 pm.
Leadership & Management will be on Thurs, May 7 and Fri, May 8, ending at 5 pm.)
Day 1: management & leadership principles, management documents including policies and procedures, basic human resources including job descriptions, Communication to stakeholders.
Day 2: leadership essentials, coaching, communication.
Day 3: financial management topics including budgeting, expenditures, internal controls, financial statements, purchasing, and long term financial planning.
Day 1 and 2 (Leadership and Management) MUST be taken in-person.
Substitutions: An online course is available for the Day 3 (Financial Management) portion of this workshop if needed. Enroll in this Day 3 online substitution, Financial Management for Texas Libraries, here.
2-Reference Services (online self-paced course)
Substitutions: While the final touches are being put on our online Reference Services course, you can enroll in an online alternative for credit toward your SLM certificate. Sign up for this online alternative, Get on the Bus: Rev Up Your Reference Training, here.
3-Collection Development (online self-paced course)
Learn how community analysis tools can help you, and understand how to create or revise necessary collection development policies and procedures. Other topics include selection tools, using the CREW method for weeding, and a discussion of intellectual freedom issues in relations to collections.
4-Technology for the Small Public Library (online self-paced course)
Basic, need-to-know information about technology that will help you provide valuable and stable services for your library users. Topics include planning for technology, maintaining computer hardware and software, technology issues that affect libraries, and an overview of technologies that smaller public libraries should consider.
Not finding all the information you need? Please visit our FAQ page for more answers about credit, certificates for program completion, and more. Still have questions or concerns? Please contact Thea Blair at 512-463-5475.