Small Library Management - Core Courses
We are updating our program! For more information, visit our recent blog post here.
The four courses listed below provide a foundation for responsive library services. A certificate will be awarded upon completion of the core courses. These courses may count toward the ten hours of Continuing Education credits required for library accreditation by the Texas Administrative Code.
- Leadership and Management Essentials is a 3 day in-person workshop offered every two years. Projected next dates 2019.
- Day 1 introduces the fundamentals of leadership, including communication skills and leading through change.
- Day 2 focuses on personnel management, human resources, and policy development.
- Day 3 covers financial management including budgeting, financial planning, and audit requirements.
- Financial Management - online option for those unable to attend Day 3 of Leadership and Management Essentials.
- Reference online course provides a comprehensive overview that includes the reference interview, tech tools, online search strategies, and TexShare databases.
- Collection Development online course explains the basics of evaluating, selecting, marketing, and weeding library collections.
- Technology online course explores the essential technology services every library should provide, how to keep computers running, and planning.
Approximately every two years, the SLM program offers an "Advanced" session on a topic of current interest to the small library community. This session is not one of the core courses and does not count toward the certificate, but instead offers a supplement to the core course curriculum. The courses can be taken in any sequence.
For information or assistance contact:
Library Management Consultant
800-252-9386 (toll-free in Texas) or 512-936-4449