Small Library Management - Library Policies
Advice and examples of library policies from libraries all over the nation
Texas Online Handbooks
Texas Library Association - Intellectual Freedom Handbook
Texas Public Library Standards - Basic Administration standards, including a list of policies and procedures to be covered in Texas public libraries.
Top 10 Library Policies - A list of policies every small community library should have
TexShare Consortium - A database of Texas libraries and their lending policies
West Texas Library System - Library Policy Guidelines
WebJunction: Policies & Procedures - "...everything from Computer Policies to the USA Patriot Act." Includes links to libraries in Georgia, Washington, and Illinois
- "...model policies can serve as patterns or examples in developing your specific library policy. We also recommend that legal counsel review your policy for legal language and compliance with Ohio laws..."
Other State Library Examples
- includes samples of a variety of settings across Massachusetts
- "...Links to sample library policies are provided as a resource to help libraries develop and refine their own policies. The library board of each public library must establish library polices that are legal and that meet the needs of their community..."
- "The library boards' ultimate responsibility is to ensure and protect the reputation of the institution - best realized through the adoption of clearly written library policies. Written policies provide consistency for patrons and staff, help to resolve misunderstandings, reduce incidents of conflict and help to protect from litigation. "
- "Safe Harbor: Policies and Procedures for a Safe Library" - Handbook
- Sampling of resources for districts and schools for developing and revising policies for selection, intellectual freedom, acceptable use, privacy, and weeding.
Texas librarians may borrow these from our Library Science Collection:
Brumley, Rebecca, Electronic Collection Management Forms, Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines Manual with CD-ROM, Neal-Schuman Publishers. 2009.
Larson, Jeanette C. and Totten, Herman L., The Public Library Policy Writer: A Guidebook with Model Policies on CD-ROM, Neal-Schuman Publishers. 2008.
Brumley, Rebecca, The Academic Library Manager's Forms, Policies, and Procedures Handbook with CD-ROM, Neal-Schuman Publishers. 2007.
Brumley, Rebecca, The Reference Librarian's Policies, Forms, Guidelines, and Procedures Handbook with CD-ROM, Neal-Schuman Publishers. 2006.
Brumley, Rebecca, The Public Library Manager's Forms, Policies, and Procedures Handbook with CD-ROM, Neal-Schuman Publishers. 2004.
Nelson, Sandra and Garcia, June, for the Public Library Association, Creating Policies for Results: From Chaos to Clarity, American Library Association. 2003.
Have questions? Feel free to contact Irena at 512-469-5475!