Task Force Links
Potential Impact on
Libraries of Rules 1.74
Potential Impact on
Libraries of Rule 1.81
Archived Webinar held on March 20 (under Administration)
Accreditation Task Force
The Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) and the Texas Library Association (TLA) have created a joint task force to review the TLA Public Library Standards and the TSLAC Minimum Criteria for Accreditation. We formed two groups. One will review the Texas Library Association Public Library Standards and the other will review the TSLAC Minimum Criteria for Accreditation.
FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE ACCREDITATION CRITERIA
The Accreditation Task Force has made final recommendations for changes to the Minimum Standards for Accreditation of Libraries in the State Library System. The links below are the marked-up copy of the final recommendations and an analysis on the potential impact to public libraries' accreditation using the local fiscal year 2013 data, as submitted on the Public Library Annual Report.
Minimum Standards for Accreditation of Public Libraries in the State Library System
Links to Texas Administrative Code, Title 13, Part 1, Chapter 1, Subchapter C, Minimum Standards for Accreditation in the State Library System. Adopted by the Texas State Library & Archives Commission on November 7, 2014; effective November 30, 2014.
Final Recommendations for Changes to the Accreditation Criteria
Potential Impact on Public Libraries' Accreditation
The charge of the taskforce is:
- To evaluate the current TLA Texas Public Library Standards and the TSLAC Minimum Criteria for Accreditation for their timeliness, comprehensiveness, and appropriateness.
- To determine the effectiveness of the current Texas Public Library Standards and the Minimum Criteria for Accreditation in developing public library services.
- To evaluate public library standards and accreditation criteria from other state and/or national organizations and determine if any could potentially serve as models for Texas.
- To recommend to the TSLAC, the TLA Public Libraries Division, and the TLA Executive Board and Council the relationship that should exist between the Standards and the Minimum Criteria for Accreditation.
- To recommend changes, if any, to the Texas Public Library Standards and to the Minimum Criteria for Accreditation.
- April 24, 2013 - TLA Annual Conference (Fort Worth) – Meeting with all taskforce members
- May 2013 – Begin work
- June 24, 2013 - Conference call - Agenda - Minutes
- July 9, 2013 - TLA Annual Assembly (Austin) – Meeting 2:30pm-4:30pm with accreditation taskforce members - Agenda - Minutes
- July – Fall 2013 – continue work
- October 24, 2013 - Taskforce meeting at TSLAC - Agenda - Minutes
- December 16, 2013 – Virtual meeting - Agenda - Minutes
- February 5, 2014 - Conference call - Agenda - Minutes
- March 20, 2014 - Webinar
- April 8-11, 2014 - TLA Annual Conference (San Antonio) – Meeting of task force members and Open Forum
- May 2, 2014 - Virtual Meeting - Final Proposed Changes - Agenda - Minutes
- June 5, 2014 – Library Systems Act Advisory Board meeting
- July 2014 – Propose Standards, and make recommendations for minimum criteria, to the TLA PLD Executive Board for vote; if affirmative propose to TLA Council for vote of endorsement
- August 2014 – begin process of working with the Commission on the rule making process for any changes to the minimum criteria