Legislative Budget Board update 06-02
Legislative Budget Board update 06-2002
Building on a Strong Foundation -- Implementing the Library of Texas Project
The Library of Texas (LoT) makes use of a partnership between the State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) and the Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund Board (TIFB) to provide critical information resources and services to Texans. In the second phase of the Library of Texas project, TSLAC continues its support of the expanded online database program that was initiated in Phase I. Additionally, we are implementing the remaining components of the LoT.
Accomplishments 3/01/02 - 5/31/02:
1) Purchased hardware to run the Electronic Depository Program.
2) Completed detailed system design specifications for Electronic Depository Program.
3) Distributed a Technology Inventory and Assessment in order to identify the current state of Texas library technology with regards to automated library services. This will allow us to develop a timetable for library participation in the Virtual Library. It will also allow us to identify which libraries need assistance to be brought to a level of technical readiness for participation in the Virtual Library.
4) Held two additional focus group meetings on the Virtual Library, bringing the total number of focus groups to four.
5) Identified functional requirements for two components of the Virtual Library: the virtual catalog and the search and retrieval interface. These requirements are in draft form and are being reviewed by the project's advisory group.
6) Completed reviews on two products that are popular with libraries offering integrated searching, bringing total number of reviews up to four.
7) Added libraries of Clinical Medicine to all the database contracts. These libraries and their registered users are now accessing the databases.
8) Texas State Library and Archives Commission approved database contract renewals for upcoming year.
9) TexShare Electronic Information Working Group formed a subcommittee to draft an RFP for an electronic serials utility to enhance access to articles in the database collection.
10) Initiated a remote access service that allows patrons of participating libraries expanded access to the databases from their homes and offices.
11) Purchased hardware for the videoconferencing system.
12) Purchased hardware for the Web-based learning application.
13) Contacted ten libraries in the regional library systems to determine locations of videoconferencing centers. So far 10 libraries have been sent memoranda of understanding delineating TSLAC and library partner responsibilities in maintaining and making available the videoconferencing equipment. The eleventh site is still under negotiation.
14) Staff members attended training on system operation of the Electronic Depository Program and installation and operation for components of the videoconferencing system.
15) Began plans for the required modification of the training room which will house the central videoconference system at the Texas State Library and Archives Comission.
16) Presented four programs on the Library of Texas at the Texas Library Association's Annual Conference: "Library of Texas: Preserving the Past & Shaping the Future," "TexShare Databases: Building the Future," "Library of Texas Virtual Library," "Here Today AND Tomorrow: Preserving Government Online Information."
17) Met with consultant who will be designing the evaluation of the Library of Texas project.