Disability Information & Referral Center (DIRC)
The Disability Information and Referral Center of the Talking Book Program houses information and materials on types of disabilities and health conditions, as well as related organizations, publications, products, and technology.
This is a free reference service provided for anyone with a disability-related question. You do not have to be a member of the Talking Book Program in order to use the services provided by the DIRC.
The Talking Book Program's Disability Information and Referral Center is available to assist people who have questions pertaining to disabilities. Examples of frequently asked questions include:
- Where can I purchase a digital machine that will play the books in your collection?
- What kinds of magnification devices are available for sale?
- Where can I obtain a Bible on audio or in Braille to keep?
- How do I find in-home assistance for my elderly parent?
- My child was just diagnosed with a learning disability. I need resources.
- My elderly mother is seeking a magnifier and other low vision items.
- I could use a specialized telephone. I am interested in both a landline and a mobile phone.
- Where can I get funding for assistive technology?
- My teenager with a disability needs college, scholarship, and employment resources.
- I have a physical disability and want information on adaptive driving.
For answers to these and other questions you may have about disabilities, please give us a call at 1-800-252-9605 (toll-free in Texas) or 512-463-5458.
DIRC Resource Links
Guide to Resource on Learning Differences
AT & Computer Trainings/Tutorials/Podcasts Information
Assistive Technology Funding Guide
Spotlight on Texas Books
National Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped (NLS)
Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services
Texas Department of Aging & Disability Services
Texas School for the Blind & Visually Impaired
The Hadley School for the Blind
American Council of the Blind of Texas
National Federation of the Blind, Texas
NFB Newsline (audio newspapers)
American Foundation for the Blind
Americans with Disabilities Act
Learning Disabilities Association of Texas
Texas Education Agency
Texas Department of State Health Services Audiovisual Library
Our Web site contains links to Web sites other than our own. Even though we attempt to ensure the accuracy and usefulness of our own Web site, we make no claims about the accuracy of materials and Web sites other than our own.
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other such Web sites.
NOTE: See our Web Policies & Disclaimers page for more information about linking to Web sites other than our own.
Talking Book Program
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
PO Box 12927
Austin TX 78711-2927
1-800-252-9605 (in Texas)
512-463-5458 (in Austin)