Historic Flags of the Texas State Library and Archives

TSLAC 306-4054 U.S. National 48-Star Flag

Click images for larger view

Wool, 43 x 61 inches
Conserved

1980 Conservation report (PDF)1980 Conservator's report - Panhandle Plains Historical Museum


More Online Exhibits:
Under the Rebel Flag: Life in Texas During the Civil War

PDF Reader

TSLAC 306-4054
U.S. National 48-Star Flag

The United States flag bore 48 stars from 1912-1959, making this design one of the most common versions of the national flag ever produced. This flag flew over the Texas Confederate Women's Home (1908-1963). The home operated at 3710 Cedar Street in the Hyde Park area of Austin, and provided shelter and care primarily for elderly widows and wives of Confederate veterans. Founded by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, it became a state-run facility in 1911.

Over the years more than 3400 women lived at the facility. In 1963, the last three surviving women were moved to private care facilities and the home was closed. The last Confederate widow to have lived at the home died in 1970 at the age of 104. The building remained in state use as a residence for nurses for the Austin State Hospital and later, as an annex for the State School for the Blind. Today, much altered by successive remodelings over the decades, it houses the offices of a number of non-profit agencies.

<< Previous Flag | Next Flag >>

Home | Complete List of Flags | Suggested Reading | Feedback

Online Exhibits Page

Page last modified: April 7, 2016