Texas State Parks logo
 

 

To Love the Beautiful:The Story of Texas State Parks

Early Years: Remember the Alamo

Texas women took the lead in saving the historic sites of the Texas Revolution. In 1907, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas persuaded the legislature to buy more than 300 acres of the San Jacinto battlefield and to appropriate money for its improvement. Other efforts followed: the Alamo long barracks, the Fannin and Gonzales battlefields, the Refugio public square, and Washington-on-the-Brazos, site of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence. In 1919, the historic parks were brought under the management of the State Board of Control (except for the Alamo, which was and is managed by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas). These were the first state parks in Texas.

View of the Alamo, circa 1920

 

The Alamo church was purchased by the state of Texas in 1883 and was managed by the city of San Antonio. In 1905, the state purchased the rest of the mission property and turned the complex into a museum and shrine operated to this day by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Photo circa 1920.

Prints and Photographs Collection #1/103-648. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives.

 

 

Alamo property title drawing

 

 

This drawing comes from the abstract of title for the Alamo. The entire document, detailing the history of the Alamo's ownership from the 1730s, runs some sixty pages.

 

 

Next >>

Page last modified: October 31, 2016