Read Across Texas Resources
The questions and resource materials provided here are intended to support librarians in framing their individual book discussions. You are free to use the questions as listed, to change them, or find others that support your learning objectives.
Watch our #TXBookChat with Mark Smith, the Director and State Librarian of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission and Rebekah Manley, the Coordinator for the Texas Center for the Book, explaining how to participate in the program.
Watch our exclusive interview with Read Across Texas 2021 author Chef José Andrés on how his book, We Fed an Island: The True Story of Rebuilding Puerto Rico, One Meal at a Time, can be a springboard for community discussions about our theme of “Recovery.”
Our Read Across Texas 2021 Author Event included authors Chris Barton and Nancy Wayson Dinan and was moderated by KUT’s Jennifer Stayton. Please enjoy the recording and feel free to integrate it into your programs.
Suggestions to Start Discussions
1. Give a “CliffsNotes®” style overview of the book.
2. Read a short passage or if you are using a graphic novel, have a copy of a few pages to handout.
3. Start the discussion there. Some suggested conversation starters:
- “How is the character’s experience in _____________ similar to yours?”
- “How is the character’s experience in ________________ different than yours?”
- “The theme of this seemed to be _______________ and lead me to believe ____________________. What are your thoughts?”
Tips from Lit Lovers
Click on a book cover or title below to download the discussion guide (PDF)
All Discussion Guides (PDF)
2021 Read Across Texas: Recovery titles:
Teaching Books supplemental resources (available to Texas librarians and library users via TexShare/TexQuest).
Video of Chris Barton reading the book on Youtube. Interview with Chris Barton in the Journal of the
American Association of School Librarians.
The titles marked with an asterisk (*) will be available for Texans in e-book format in May and June. Read more information on the Read Across Texas e-Book page.
Official press release for 2021 Read Across Texas. Feel free to use as a model for your media releases.
Read Across Texas Design Resources
This section provides resources for libraries and partner organizations related to Read Across Texas. Image files below can be used to create informational fliers, posters, web graphics, and other messaging that help to promote Read Across Texas in your community.
- Read Across Texas Graphic (PNG)
- Read Across Texas Graphic (JPEG)
- Texas Center for the Book Logo (PNG)
- Texas Center for the Book Logo (JPEG)
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission Logo (PNG)
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission Logo (JPEG)
- TSLAC and TCFB Logo Combined (PNG)
- TSLAC and TCFB Log Combined (JPEG)