Read Across Texas Resources
The questions and resource materials provided here are intended to support librarians in framing their individual book discussions. You are free to use the questions as listed, to change them, or find others that support your learning objectives.
I. General Questions/Suggestions to Start Discussions
1. Give a “Cliffs Notes” overview of the book.
2. Read a short passage or if you are using a graphic novel, have a copy of a few pages to handout.
3. Start the discussion there. Some suggested conversation starters:
- “How is the character’s experience in _____________ similar to yours?”
- “How is the character’s experience in ________________ different than yours?”
- “The theme of this seemed to be _______________ and lead me to believe ____________________. What are your thoughts?”
(More “Know Your Neighbor” specific discussion questions coming soon.)
Tips from Lit Lovers
Click on a book cover below to download the discussion guide.
|A Man Called Ove||Tattoos on the Heart||Dreamers
“Close both eyes see with the other one. Then we are no longer saddled by the burden of our persistent judgments our ceaseless withholding our constant exclusion. Our sphere has widened and we find ourselves quite unexpectedly in a new expansive location in a place of endless acceptance and infinite love.”
― Gregory Boyle, Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
Dreamers by Yuyi Morales
- Texas librarians and library users can access resource materials through our TexShare program. Look for Dreamers by Yuri Morales on the Teaching Books resource.
- Educator and student guide by Holiday House (PDF)
Read Across Texas Design Resources
This section provides resources for libraries and partner organizations related to Read Across Texas. Image files below can be used to create infomational fliers, posters, web graphics and other messaging that help to promote Read Across Texas in your community.
- Read Across Texas Graphic (PNG)
- Read Across Texas Graphic (JPEG)
- Friends of Libraries and Archives of Texas Logo (PNG)
- Friends of Libraries and Archives of Texas Logo ( JPEG)
- Texas Center for the Book Logo (PNG)
- Texas Center for the Book Logo (JPEG)
- Texas Veterans Commission Logo (PNG)
- Texas Veterans Commission Logo (JPEG)
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission Logo (PNG)
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission Logo (JPEG)
- TSLAC and TCFB Logo Combined (PNG)
- TSLAC and TCFB Log Combined (JPEG)