e-Records Conference 2011:
Practical Solutions for Managing Electronic Records
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
The Commons Center at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus
University of Texas at Austin
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, Texas 78758
We are pleased to announce that this year's agenda includes the most requested topics from our survey of 2010 conference attendees:
8:00 - 8:30 AM - Sign-In
8:30 - 8:45 AM - Welcome and Opening Remarks
8:45 - 9:45 - Future-Proofing Digital Records Management: Emerging Concepts from Current Research
- Keynote speaker Patricia Galloway, School of Information, University of Texas at Austin, will discuss ideas for developing sustainable retention and archiving practices for government records. She will also introduce a new approach to the life-cycle treatment of records using open-source tools and shared public technical resources.
9:45 - 10:00 - Refreshments and Exhibitors
10:00 - 11:30 Session #1: Email and Shared Server Management
- Email Best Practices update: TJ Wasden, co-chair of RMICC's Best Practices Committee; Records Management Officer & Division Administrator, Records Management Group, Department of Family and Protective Services. TJ will present the goals and the findings to date of the Email Management Best Practices Workgroup.
- Case Study - Shared Server Management: Tim Nolan, Records Manager at the Texas Water Development Board. Tim will share how his agency is attempting to clean up a shared drive. This is a collaborative effort by IT and Records Management with top management support. The agency’s policies, procedures, culture, methodology, and lessons learned for managing shared drive information will be discussed during this presentation.
11:30 - 12:30 - Lunch and Exhibitors (lunch provided)
12:30 - 2:00 - Session #2: Imaging Best Practices
- Imaging Case Studies: Sarah Jacobson, Manager of Records Management Assistance at TSLAC and Erinn Barefield, Records Manager at TSLAC will present a case study of an in-house project to scan local government records. Chris Foster, Director of Records Management and Tracy Hansen, Director of Imaging Services at the University of North Texas will explain how implementing a vendor imaging product has improved their organization’s overall information management.
2:00 - 2:15 - Refreshments and Exhibitors
2:15 - 3:30 - Session #3: The Social Media Toolkit
- Jon Lee, policy analyst in the Enterprise Policy and Planning group at DIR, recently led a 32-agency workgroup in developing the Statewide Social Media Toolkit. Jon will discuss the purpose and content of this comprehensive resource for Texas agencies looking to launch or improve their social media initiative.
3:30 - 3:45 - Session #3: Wrap-Up
3:45 - 4:45 - Bonus Session: Higher Education (University) Roundtable
- Sarah Jacobson and Chris Foster, co-chairs of RMICC's Universities Records Management Committee, will provide a committee update and facilitate a roundtable discussion with Higher Education attendees.
Opening Remarks: Regina Rousseau
Future-Proofing Digital Records Management: Patricia Galloway
Email Best Practices Update: TJ Wasden
Shared Server Management: Tim Nolan
Imaging Case Study: Sarah Jacobson and Erinn Barefield
Imaging Case Study: Chris Foster and Tracy Hansen
Social Media Toolkit: John Leereturn to top