The Talking Book Program is now serving patrons with a great new service called Duplication on Demand (DoD). It will allow you to get almost any book that is available on BARD right away. When you order books, or when automatic selection orders books for you, they are recorded on a cartridge and sent to you within a day or two (provided you don’t already have a full quota.) Of course, if you have other requests on your list, you’ll need to tell us if you want new requests first. Otherwise, the computer may send older requests before the new ones. There’s no waiting for other patrons to return a copy; all downloadable books are always available. DoD puts up to 8 books on one cartridge, but you don’t need to be able to use Bookshelf because new programming has simplified the way you move from book to book. You can also get a whole series put on one cartridge– in series order—just let us know if there’s one you would like.
We are starting the process of moving all of our established audio readers to DoD. This will take quite a while, as each reader must be set up individually. DoD settings will be based on your current account profile, but these settings can be changed at your request. We are working through our patron list diligently, but it may be some time before we get to you. If you would like to switch to DoD right away, please contact us, and we’ll set you up.
Here’s what to expect when you start getting DoD cartridges:
• Each reader can have up to three cartridges checked out at once*
• Each cartridge may have as many as 8 books on it* (or a whole series, at your request.)
• Each cartridge will be labeled “TX Talking Book Library: Audio Books.”
• The mailing container will have a folded book card listing the titles that are on the cartridge.
• To return cartridges, simply remove the book card. The container has TBP’s return address permanently on it.
• Once a cartridge gets back to us, we’ll send you another one. It’s very important to send cartridges back right away to prevent gaps in service.
• The loan period for cartridges is 60 days, with an option to renew for another 60 days, so you’ll have plenty of time to read all of the books on the cartridge.
• If you want to reread a book or cartridge, we can send it again.
Questions? Please contact us! We’ll be happy to answer them. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 1-800-252-9605.
*Note to Institutions: Since institutions (schools, nursing homes, etc.) serve multiple readers, you will receive more cartridges, each containing one book. For more information, please contact us.
*Note to Demo Sites: Demo sites will receive 1 cartridge that contains a Spanish book and an English book.