The National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS) just announced the launch of Braille on Demand. This new service allows braille readers to request one title per month in paper braille format that patrons are allowed to keep.
You may begin requesting titles on June 20, 2022.
To request the one monthly title, patrons of the Talking Book Program will fill out the request form that goes directly to NLS:
Once NLS processes your request, they will mail the braille book straight to you.
The link to theform is also available on our website at: https://www.tsl.texas.gov/tbp/bibliographies/bibindex.html and here https://www.tsl.texas.gov/tbp/news/index.html
Guidelines for requesting titles:
- Braille titles will be limited to books that are currently available on BARD. You can either search BARD for titles here https://nlsbard.loc.gov or call us to check if the title you would like is available.
- Only complete titles will be distributed. Requests for partial titles (for example, volume one of a three-volume book) will result in receiving the entire book.
- As of now, patrons may request one title per calendar month.
If you fill out the request form on your own, you will need to know the following:
- The book title
- The BR number of the title from BARD
- Your patron ID number (it begins with TX1A. Call us to get that number if you don’t know it)
- The name of your network library: Texas Talking Book Program
We hope that our braille patrons will take advantage of this new service.
Please call us if you have any questions or if you would like us to fill out the form for you.