The Texas State Independent Living Conference will take place on March 1 – 3, 2014, in Austin, at the Austin Marriott South, 4415 S. IH 35. The theme of this year’s conference is F.I.R.E. – Future Independence through Resources and Education.
This conference offers panel discussions, advocacy training, networking opportunities, and access to exhibitors promoting disability-related services and products.
The Independent Living Conference will coincide with two important events: the operation of the 84th Texas Legislature, and a visit from the Legacy Project, a bus touring the country to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
For more information about the conference, please visit: http://conferences.txsilc.org/
Texas Talking Book patrons: please join us on Thursday March 26th at 7 pm (Central Time) for our book club discussion of UNBROKEN: A WORLD WAR II STORY OF SURVIVAL, RESILIENCE, AND REDEMPTION by Laura Hillenbrand (DB 72129).
Our book club meetings are hosted via toll free conference call, so all you need is a telephone to participate. To RSVP call the Talking Book Program at: 1-800-252-9605 (RSVP preferred by March 12th) or email us at: email@example.com. Please indicate if you would like us to mail you the digital cartridge or if you prefer to download the book from BARD.
UNBROKEN: A WORLD WAR II STORY OF SURVIVAL, RESILIENCE, AND REDEMPTION by Laura Hillenbrand (DB 72129)
Author of SEABISCUIT (DB 51968) details the life of Louis Zamperini (b. 1917), an Olympic runner and World War II bombardier, who survived a plane crash and forty-seven days adrift at sea only to become a POW in Japan. Relates Louis’ later religious awakening under Billy Graham’s ministry. Violence. Bestseller. 2010.
Colleen McCullough, author of the enormously popular 1977 Australian romance The Thorn Birds, passed away on Thursday in Norfolk Island due to kidney failure. When the novel was first published, McCullough received $1.9 million for the paperback rights to The Thorn Birds–a record at the time. Since then, more than 30 million copies have been sold worldwide. This success enabled her to trade her poorly-paid career as a neurophysiologist for a life in writing.
The Thorn Birds, a romance novel about the Cleary dynasty and the forbidden relationship between Maggie and Catholic priest Ralph de Bricassart, later spawned the TV mini-series of the same name starring Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward. According to the New York Times, the mini-series was seen by more than 100 million people.
McCullough went on to write more than 20 books, including a memoir and two series -one of them about the saga of ancient Rome and its rulers. Although the public loved her work and consumed it accordingly, literary critics were not always kind. They decried her style of dialogue and her frequent use of exclamation points. McCullough, however, was unaffected by criticism. In fact, she was well known for her immovable self-confidence and strong opinions.
The New York Times quotes McCullough’s 2007 response to her critics on Australian Television: “I think in their heart of hearts all these people know that I’m more secure than they are, more confident than they are, and smarter than they are.” Who can argue with that?
Titles by Colleen McCullough in the TBP collection:
- TIM (1974) LB 01728
- THORN BIRDS (1977) BR 04284 / DB 51148 / DX 51148 / LB 02198
- INDECENT OBSESSION (1981) BR 05058 / LB 02873
- CREED FOR THE THIRD MILLENNIUM (1985) BR 06186 / RC 21535 / DX 21535
- LADIES OF MISSALONGHI (1987) BR 06907 / RC 25980 / DB 25980 (digital format of this title currently for download only)
- FIRST MAN IN ROME: MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 1 (1990) RC 32043 / DB 32043 (digital format of this title currently for download only)
- GRASS CROWN: MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 2 (1991) RC 33912 / DX 33912
- FORTUNE’S FAVORITES: MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 3 (1993) DX 37495
- CAESAR’S WOMEN: MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 4 (1996) DX 41781
- CAESAR: LET THE DICE FLY. MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 5 (1997) DX 45492
- OCTOBER HORSE: MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 6 (2002) RC 56136 / DX 56136
- ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA: MASTERS OF ROME, BOOK 7 (2007) RC 66004 / DB 66004
- MORGAN’S RUN (2000) DB 50934 (digital format for this title currently for download only)
- TOUCH (2003) DB 57769
- INDEPENDENCE OF MISS MARY BENNET (2008) DB 68680