Do you adore scary stories? Are you addicted to Horror novels or alien-monster films? Do your friends look at you sideways when they catch you reading yet another paperback that features a serial killer or a case of demonic possession?
Actually, your spooky predilection is mostly normal. Mostly. The magazine Psychology Today once asked Horror film director Clive Barker why people love to get scared. His answer: “It empowers them… One of the ways you take hold of the things that frighten you is to grasp the nettle very tightly, so it doesn’t sting.” That explains a lot.
So; now you have Clive Barker’s blessing to read scary things to your cob-webby heart’s content. And while you’re at it, find out more about why you love dark tales so much. Spend this Halloween reading some of the following titles.
- ON MONSTERS: AN UNNATURAL HISTORY OF OUR WORST FEARS by Stephen Asma. DB 72161 / BR 19224.
- MEDUSA’S GAZE AND VAMPIRE’S BITE: THE SCIENCE OF MONSTERS by Matt Kaplan. DB 75865.
- POE’S CHILDREN: THE NEW HORROR, AN ANTHOLOGY. DB 68446.
- BIG BOOK OF GHOST STORIES. DB 76004.
- MONSTER’S CORNER: STORIES THROUGH INHUMAN EYES. DB 75497.