TexShare Advisory Board Meeting
December 8, 2008 - 10:00 AM to Noon
TSLAC Lorenzo de Zavala building, Room 414
1. Approve minutes from October 7, 2008: There was a mistake in Item 7 – last sentence of first bullet (441.226). Should read “for-profit” organizations instead of “non-profit” organizations. The minutes were approved as corrected.
2. Public Comment: None
3. Set Date for next meeting: The next meeting will be the pre-conference day of TLA in Houston.
4. TSLAC update: Peggy Rudd gave an update on building renovation progress and staff moving timeframes. The agency plans to conduct fundraising to supplement appropriations for the building renovation.
Legislative activity – The Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) has an ambitious LAR, requesting over $9 million per year for TexShare and K-12 services. Both TSLAC the Texas Library Association (TLA) have created talking points regarding the budget request available on the respective websites.
5. Proposed statute changes: Beverley Shirley reported that some changes were made per the recommendations of the board from the last meeting. In the draft proposal in section 441.226 we added, “Composition of the board will be representative of the various types of libraries comprising the membership. The other change was in 441.229; “The commission may allow designated libraries that may participate in a group purchasing agreement only to the extent that the commission may do so efficiently and in a manner that enhances resource sharing services to the consortium members.” The motion to accept the proposed changes to the statute passed.
There was a question about allowing “for-profit” institutions versus “non-profit” institutions to be eligible for TexShare membership. In order to allow for-profit institutions to join the consortium, the agency’s commission would have to adopt a rule to admit them into membership.
6. Resource Sharing Summit Implementation Task Force: Ann Mason reported that she has been having trouble recruiting representatives for the Resource Sharing Summit Implementation Task Force. Ms. Mason suggested that the board decrease the required number of representatives. After some discussion, it was decided to recruit the original number of members recommended by the board at the July 2008 meeting. Several board members made recommendations for people to contact.
7. Database Cost Sharing Working Group Recommendations: Sue Phillips reported on recommendations from the working group on 2 issues.
1. Medical library fees – The working group determined that $40,000 is the appropriate amount for medical libraries to contribute in cost share. A subcommittee studied this and divided the total assessment by size of institution, but not by specific dollar or volume criteria. They recommend a $2,000 fee for smaller medical libraries, with larger medical libraries paying $3,000, and the Houston Academy of Medicine – Texas Medical Center (HAM-TMC) paying $5,000.
2. Professional graduate programs – The working group proposes to assess the same cost share for the South Texas College of Law as the medical libraries that have similar information resources expenditures. The cost share for FY2010 would $3,000. Also the group would like to expand the category to include all “professional graduate programs” for any future similar institutions.
The motion to accept the two recommendations passed. The invoices sent in August 2009 will reflect these changes.
8. Policy on TexShare Advisory Board meeting format: Beverley Shirley recommended the board develop a policy regarding member attendance via conference call. The board determined that face-to-face meetings are preferred with the option of conference calls as an exception. The board will revisit this issue at a future board meeting.
Next board meeting will be March 31, 2009 in Houston.
TexShare Advisory Board Members:
Cathy Dean, San Antonio
Joan Heath, Texas State University San Marcos
Kathy Hoffman, MD Anderson Cancer Center
Sheila Ross Henderson, Pasadena Public Library System
Candice Scott, Schreiner University
Texas State Library and Archives Commission:
Julie Hughes, Library Resource Sharing Division
Ann Mason, Library Resource Sharing Division
Danielle Plumer, Library Resource Sharing Division
Peggy Rudd, TSLAC Librarian and Director
Beverley Shirley, Library Resource Sharing Division
Russlene Waukechon, Library Resource Sharing Division
Working Group Chairs/Liaisons: None
Sue Phillips, University of Texas at Austin
On conference call:
TexShare Advisory Board Members:
Evelyn Bonner, Wiley College
Kathy Fair, Kilgore College
Larry Justiss, Tom Green County Library System
Melissa Rippy, Pasadena ISD*
Martha Tandy, Weatherford College
* K-12 Representatives serve in a non-voting capacity.