Electronic Information Working Group
Minutes of March 31, 2008
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Russlene Waukechon, Beverly Shirley, Todd Humble, Kristen Cook, Sue Phillips, Kerry Keck, Martha Knott, JoAnn Van Schaik, Sandra Munger, Laura Alfaro, Carolyn McCown, Susan Smith, Karen Locher, Tracey Pineda
Meeting convened at 10:00 a.m. with discussion lead by Russlene on the issue of creating a collection development for Texas K12 public school libraries.
Following the written agenda:
I. FY09 Budget Review with Beverley Shirley
- Beverley Shirley reviewed funding cycle and the budget forecast for the TexShare program
- The EIWG was directed to decide in what areas they would like to expand, for example more choices in the TexSelect program. Each contract renewal includes a % increase. The EIWG must make decisions as to what databases they are going to renew and if they want to see any changes in the program over the next several years.
II. Review of TexShare Strategic Planning Session
- Kerry Keck & Sue Phillips (Academic Community); Laura Alfaro & Carolyn McCown (K12 Community) and JoAnn VanSchaik (Medical Community) presented a recap of the TexShare Strategic Planning Session that they attended February 27 & 28, 2008 in Austin.
- No action was taken from this report just impressions of the Summit were shared.
- Major impression taken away from the Summit is TexShare members want more resources from the TexShare program. Summit attendees voiced their desire to see TexShare offer more ebooks, more full-text options, streaming media, test prep materials, auto repair manuals, test preparation resources, K12 literature resources and more Texas specific content.
III. Possible New Resources for TexShare discussed
- It was decided by the EIWG to renew the current selection of databases in the core menu for FY2009
- Possible future database additions were discussed. Suggestions made include purchasing a car repair database, historical newspapers database, comprehensive legal form database, collection of photographs/images database, Texas history database and investor information database. These were just suggestions for future consideration, no action was taken to review or purchase any databases suggested during the meeting.
IV. TexSelect Suggestions
- Current TexSelect options were reviewed and approved for continuation in the program.
V. Weeding NetLibrary
- Karen Locker (Victoria College/UofH Victoria) stated that the weeding subcommittee of the EIWG would write some guidelines for weeding a library’s NetLibrary collection. Work continues on the weeding process for the EIWG subscommittee.
VI. New Direct links
- The group was encouraged to use ProQuest’s 2 additional databases that are included in the eLibrary subscription. The EIWG was encouraged to use both the Literature & History databases in their local libaries.
VII. K-12 Program Update
- K-12 usage statistics were reviewed and Jay Velgos discussed the way K-12 school library’s may check on their stats using Chalkdust, the in-house designed K-12 statistics interface.
- Carolyn McCown discussed ways we could contact local school administrators to tell them that hey have access to the K-12 databases through a partnership between TSLAC & TEA.
2:00 meeting was adjourned.