TexShare Electronic Information Working Group
Conference Call, March 11, 2014
1:30 – 2:30 PM
Working Group members: Eric Elmore, John Weed, Greg Tramel ,Lisa Harris Hebert, Steve Clegg, Mary Jarvis, Janis Test, Alexia Thompson-Young, Russlene Waukechon
Roll Call Taken
1. Discuss Renewal of Gale Literature Resource Center(LRC):
Russlene began the discussion by asking if the EIWG wanted to continue with the current subscription to Gale’s LRC.
EIWG members pointed out:
- Most academic libraries have cancelled their print subscriptions to the Gale print resources and depend on the electronic resources found in the LRC
- Community Colleges may no longer depend as much on literary criticism databases as they once did
- Does it appear duplicative to have 2 literary criticism databases?
- Gale’s product vs EBSCO’s literary product: they are not the same. They complement each other but, do not replace each other.
Usage statistics comparing LRC vs. EBSCO’s Literary Reference Center were reviewed.
It was decided more time was needed to make this decision and a follow-up call was scheduled for Thursday, March, 13, 2014.
2. Discuss Renewal of Gale Literature Resource Center(LRC):
TexShare will have the opportunity to issue a RFO for a new subscription based e-resource thissummer. The EIWG was asked to establish priorities for categories of resources TexShare could issue an RFO for this summer. The EIWG established these categories:
- Streaming media
- Language resources
- Computer literacy and skill competency resources
- Legal Forms
- Auto Repair resources
A survey of TexShare members seeking their input will be sent out this Spring.
Meeting was concluded by 2:30
Minutes prepared by: Russlene Waukechon