Library of Texas (LoT) Working Group Meeting - Conference Call
October 20, 2011
Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC)
1201 Brazos, Austin, Texas 78701

Minutes

Attending: Eddy Smith (Chair), Judith Hiott, Larry Koeninger, Chris Peterson, Margaret Sylvia, Betty Thompson, Beverley Shirley, Sue Bennett (Guest) Jay Velgos (Guest)

Update on OCLC Meta Search. Sue Bennett reported that OCLC is using the OCLC Knowledge Base in conjunction with the metasearch tool in order to take users from discovery to retrieval of articles. This represents significant progress. Sue and Jay will set up a demonstration of the tool via GoToMeeting. Eddy Smith, Margaret Sylvia, and Chris Peterson volunteered to comprise a subcommittee on OCLC’s metasearch and the Library of Texas.

Review of report to TexShare Advisory Board. Judith reviewed recommendations from the report.

  • HALAN would like to have 5 – 10 LoT widgets in place on library web pages in the next several months.
  • Maintaining the Z39.50 connections to library targets is consuming a great deal of staff time, but Judith feels if they could solve the problems with shared catalogs most of these would be resolved.
  • HALAN will continue to review resource requirements and sources of funding.
  • Continued promotion of LoT to libraries at meetings, conferences, or other events is important.

Training on LoT Administrative Module. There were mixed reviews of the web-based training on the LoT administrative module. In general, the training was not as useful as we had hoped, although one person found it helpful and was able to fix two-three problems after the session. After the first of the year, the group will revisit the issue of the administrative module to determine whether there is any reason to offer libraries the ability to access their administrative modules.

LoT NetFair presentation. The group discussed the upcoming presentation on Library Widgets that will be sponsored and coordinated by the LoT Working Group. They identified 4 – 5 implementations of widgets that are currently in use on library web pages as candidates for inclusion in the program. Judith Hiott volunteered to coordinate the program.

Update from HALAN. See “Review of report to TexShare Advisory Board.”

Development Needed. The group discussed some of the most pressing development needs. Judith will send in a list of the top 3 – 5 needs at HALAN.  The question came up as to whether the LoT platform could be adapted to search e-books (non-Z39.50 targets), as there is a need for a single tool that can identify e-books that are available across several vendor platforms.

LoT Webinar.Eddy Smith and Jay Velgos presented a Webinar on LoT on October 19. The Webinar was very well received. TSLAC will follow up with a series of single-topic screen casts on LoT and would like volunteers to assist with these. Eddy will do at least one screen cast, and establish some “best practices” for other volunteers to follow.

Page last modified: November 14, 2011
Top of Page