TExpress FAQ - TExpress Yourself!
Save time and money on your interlibrary loans....Improve service to your patrons
Interested in improving your interlibrary loan service and saving money at the same time? It' not impossible, it' TExpress, a program now available that permits unlimited courier service to participating libraries throughout Texas for one low annual fee.
TExpress is a program of TexShare, the statewide library resource sharing program. The program was formerly available only to academic libraries in Texas, but recent legislation that expanded TexShare membership has made this successful and money-saving program available to all Texas public libraries.
Whether your primary interlibrary loan activities are lending or borrowing, the TExpress courier service can streamline your shipping, speed up your turnaround time, and save money.
What's the catch?
Well, the courier service only picks up and delivers from participating TExpress libraries. So who are the participating libraries?
- Go to Amigos’ website for a complete list of participating libraries: http://www.amigos.org/node/137
- All of the major academic libraries in Texas are using TExpress.
- Many libraries in Oklahoma, and New Mexico are beginning to use the Trans-Amigos Express, which connects with TExpress at no extra charge!
- Many public libraries in Texas are signing up.
- Both TPLS and NETLS have regional couriers that TExpress members can send a receive items to libraries in these areas.
If your library is typical, these libraries account for the bulk of your interlibrary loans. By joining TExpress, you not only make sending materials easier and less expensive for your own library, but for all of the other TExpress and Trans-Amigos libraries as well.
What' the cost?
The cost for the courier for FY2014 is:
5-day service cost to libraries is $4,076
($724 TexShare subsidy applied to $4,800 full cost)
3-day service cost to libraries is $3,275
($615 TexShare subsidy applied to $2,660 full cost)
2-day service cost to libraries is $2,575
($385 TexShare subsidy applied to $2,190 full cost)
How do you determine if subscribing to TExpress makes sense for your library?
- Take a look at how much you currently spend on interlibrary loan postage. For many libraries, a TExpress membership more than pays for itself in just a few months.
- Count the number of interlibrary loans you do in a year. The estimated cost to send a 2 lb. package via USPS library rate is $3.00. Multiply the number of interlibrary loans you do in a year by $3.00 and compare that to the annual TExpress fee for the various services above to see if the courier is cost effective for you.
- How much time do you spend packing, labeling, and shipping interlibrary loan materials? Packaging and labeling is simpler with TExpress, saving valuable staff time. You don' even need to weigh or count the packages!
- What is your usual turnaround time for interlibrary loans? Because the TExpress courier comes to your library five days a week, deliveries in Texas usually take only two days!
- Contact a participating member to hear about their experiences with TExpress.
- Contact TexShare: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do you sign up?
To sign up for the service, contact the Amigos Help Desks at 800-843-8482 or e-mail: email@example.com.