Title Bar: Put the Money Under the Rubber, The Texas Highway Department 1917-1968, from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission

 

Photos from Report on a Farm-to-Market road in Bastrop County, 1957

Back to exhibit

Ranch home near Pope Bend, 1957

Ranch home near Pope Bend.

Ranch house near Pope Bend

Ranch house, Pope Bend Route.

River bottom rent house near Pope Bend, 1957

River bottom rent house near Pope Bend

Hand-lettered sign on approach to the Colorado River Bridge near Utley, 1957

Approaching the south span of the so-called "humpback" bridge across the Colorado River near Utley. The attached documentation notes that the bridge was built in 1916; before that, a ferry known as "Nash's Ferry" operated at the crossing for forty years.

Timber floor of the 1916 bridge across the Colorado River near Utley, 1957

This view of the "humpback" bridge shows the timber floor. The attached documentation notes that the bridge was just 14.5 feet wide and accommodated one-way traffic only. With "many broken and split timber stringers," this bridge was the only route across the river for both mail trucks and school buses.

Union Hill Colored School in Utley, Texas, 1957

Highway Department engineers estimated that a farm-to-market road would serve some 90-155 cars and trucks daily, making trips to and from the Union Hill Colored School in Utley (above), the Friendship Home for the Aged, the Utley General Store, and farms and ranches.

Back to exhibit

Bastrop County project files, Texas Highway Department Records, Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.

 

Page last modified: November 14, 2011