Indian Relations in Texas

Old Stone Fort in Nacogdoches

Back to exhibit

Old Stone Fort in Nacogdoches

La Casa Piedra (later known as the Old Stone Fort) was built by the Spanish in 1779 as the first mercantile house in Nacogdoches. It remained the tallest structure in town for nearly a century, and often served as the seat of civil authority. The building was the scene of many historic moments in early Texas. In 1834, Vicente Córdova and a partner bought the property and used it as a courthouse until Córdova was forced to flee following the failure of his 1838 rebellion.

Over the years, the building served many purposes, finally ending up as a saloon. In 1902, it was dismantled. The original stones were saved and used to create a reconstruction which resides on the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University.

Back to exhibit

Fannie Ratchford Collection, Prints and Photographs Collection, Texas State Library and Archives Commission. #1970/101-1008.

Page last modified: September 22, 2011