The Texas army had only a loosely organized medical corps. During the Texas Revolution, many doctors in the United States volunteered to help Texas physicians. Six doctors were killed at the Alamo, and a number of doctors died at Goliad.
At San Jacinto, Dr. Alexander W. Ewing treated Sam Houston and others for their wounds. Ewing was soon named surgeon general of the Texas army. He took charge quickly, organizing and distributing surgeons to meet the needs of the army and regulating the distribution of medical supplies. In June 1837, Houston replaced Ewing with Dr. Ashbel Smith, who established rudimentary medical stations at Houston, Galveston, and West Bernard. The office of surgeon general was abolished in 1841.
The Texas Navy had a separate medical corps from the army. It was poorly organized but nonetheless attracted a number of volunteers until the navy disbanded in 1843.
Medical supplies purchased for the Invincible, February 23, 1836