Austin architect Frederick Ruffini designed the Main Building of the University of Texas. The magnificent Victorian-Gothic structure was completed in 1899. It housed 30 classrooms, nine lecture halls, a library, a chapel, a 2000-seat auditorium, and a dressing room for the cloaks and bonnets of the female students. It was sometimes called the "Parthenon of The University's Acropolis." It was torn down in 1934 to make way for a new Main Building and the Texas Tower.
University of Texas, 1903. Prints and Photographs Collection, Texas State Library and Archives Commission. #1903/2-1.