What is Children's Day, Book Day - El día de los niños, El día de los libros?
The Texas Center for the Book (TCFB) is proud to support libraries and literacy nonprofits that participate in Lone Star Día. Please apply for your Lone Star Día Grant and use the below resources to support your Lone Star Día programming.
NOW OPEN – Apply for a $200 Lone Star Día Grant!
The Lone Star Día Grant program is open to libraries and literacy nonprofit organizations serving children in need. We invite you to apply for a $200 credit toward brand new books from the First Book Marketplace to help support your upcoming Día celebration in April 2022! Lone Star Día Grants are made available through the Texas Center for the Book, which is administered through the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. The grant program is made possible through a partnership with First Book and through the generosity of the Edouard Foundation and the Texas Library and Archives Foundation.
How to apply for a 2022 Lone Star Día Grant:
- Sign up with First Book (if you are not already a member). Access to First Book (and the Lone Star Día Grant program) requires that libraries meet the criteria of serving children in need. If your library serves at least 70% of children from low-income families, has an E-Rate of 90, serves as a summer meals site, partners with a local Title I school, nearby Head Start, food pantry or other agency to deliver programming for kids in need, you are eligible to sign up! For more information please check out First Book’s eligibility requirements or feel free to contact them at 1-866-READ-NOW or email@example.com.
- Fill out the Lone Star Día Grant application. Apply today!
- Awards will be determined by the Texas Center for the Book in partnership with First Book. Grants will be distributed by early March 2022, so that you have plenty of time to order books for your upcoming Día celebration.
Please note: Grants are awarded in the order they are received. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible. We have a limited number of Amazon gift cards to share with libraries and literacy nonprofits that do not qualify for First Book. Therefore, be sure to both sign up with First Book and fill out the Lone Star Día Grant application to qualify.
Celebrate Día's 26th Birthday with Us!
In Texas, we call this celebration Lone Star Día. Here are resources to help you, your library, or organization discover Bookjoy every day!
Use our Lone Star Día images to create your own celebration fliers and advertisements (PDFs).
- Lone Star Día BookJoy Tag
- Lone Star Día Circular Art
- Lone Star Día Graphic Only
- Lone Star Día Header Text
- Lone Star Día Rectangle Art
Vision for Children's Day/Book Day (PDF) – By founder Pat Mora
Children's Days/Book Days: Planning for a Día Year (PDF) – Downloadable booklet by Pat Mora
Día Resource Guide (PDF) – Comprehensive Resource Guide. Everything you need to know to do Día!
Read a Q&A with Pat Mora.
Watch a video encouraging participation from founder Pat Mora
Watch a Video / Share a Video
We hope libraries, schools, universities, literacy organizations, and all who wish to promote Día will post these videos on social media, showcase them on your website, and share them with patrons, students, and families. We are excited to share these wonderful, short Día video spots created by Día Dynamos Christy Vasquez, a retired librarian, and Thom Eberhardt, a retired screenwriter.
Lone Star Día Grants
On even numbered years, grants for the First Book Marketplace are made available through the Texas Center for the Book, administered through the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. In 2018 and 2020, this grant program was made possible through a partnership with First Book and the generosity of the Edouard Foundation and the Texas Library and Archives Foundation. Please check back in 2022 for this opportunity. If you are interested in supporting these grants, please visit: https://www.txlaf.org.