The 1848 Gillard-Duncan House
One of eight families with the Creole immigration from the Red River Valley of Louisiana, the Gillard family arrived in Liberty County in December of 1845. These French families were direct descendants of the French nobleman and explorer, Louis Juchereau de St. Denis. The Gillard family entourage included Edward and Emma's daughter Eliza, nephew Simeon, and niece Celima DeBlanc.
Dr. Gillard built his plantation home to resemble the Red River Valley homes of "Plaisance" and "Castile." The home, strongly influenced by the Creole style of architecture, was built of native pine and cypress wood and was located on the M.G. White League, near Ames. The lumber for the house was milled at the family's sawmill located nearby. Special features of the two-story home included a travelers' room, an enclosed stairway, marbling, and wood-grained doors. Another unique feature of the home was the upstairs school room. The Gillard family believed in a good education for their children, as well as those of their neighbors.
The home remained in the family until 1976. In 1848, the Gillard's daughter Eliza married Captain William B. Duncan. After her death in 1856, Capt. Duncan married Dr. Gillard's niece, Celima, in 1858. Following Celima's death in 1925, her son Emory Duncan lived in the family home until he died in 1939, after which time Julia Duncan Welder made the home her residence until her death in 1954. Mrs. Welder, a well-known local historian, is credited with the preservation of many of the family's personal belongings and papers, which are housed at the Sam Houston Center.
Elizabeth Gay Bennett, granddaughter of Mrs. Welder, inherited the home and, in 1976, gave it to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC). In 1980, the home was relocated, for reasons of security and public access, to the grounds of the Center. Through generous donations by family members including Elizabeth Bennett, Connie Pratka, Pat O'Conner, Chessie Quesenbury, Duke Felton, Mary Urban, Mary Welder Gay, Thelma Gay, Mrs. Emory Dugat, Pat Allison, Duncan Welder, Jr., Ann Welder Jolly, Mrs. Duncan Welder, Sr., Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Devine, Mrs. Opal Hightower and the Mary Gay Trust, the home was fully restored under the auspices of the Atascosito Historical Society, which maintains the home on behalf of TSLAC. The house received a Texas State Historical Marker in 1984.