Guidelines for Researchers at the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center
Briefcases, computer cases, rolling bags, luggage, backpacks, camera bags, large purses, fanny packs, parcels, shopping bags, hats, coats, rain gear, sunglasses, personal books, notepads, notebooks, etc. must be placed in a locker. Any garment later removed must also be placed in a locker. Patrons are responsible for locker keys and, if needed, a fee will be charged for replacement.
Lockers are located in a small room adjoining the reading room. We are unable to monitor items that will not fit in a locker.
The reading room is reserved for researchers who are actively using archival materials. Other party members are welcome to spend time in the museum or lobby.
Current registration is required. To register, patrons must agree to abide by these guidelines, as well as follow the instructions of staff members. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification and proof of current address. Allow 10 minutes for the initial process.
Researchers between the ages of 13 and 16 are permitted ot use the materials if supervised by an adult. One adult per juvenile researcher is required. Children age 12 and under are not admitted unless they are participating in escorted group presentations.
Use of Materials
Personal scanning equipment is not permitted. Non-flash photography of most materials is permitted, though some exceptions apply.
Patrons must not lean against, mark, fold, trace, or handle materials in any way that may result in damage.
Cell phones and other electronic devices must be silenced.
- Telephone conversations are not permitted.
- Tables will be assigned.
- The number of individual items allowed on a table at one time will vary according to format.
- Materials must be fully supported at all times.
- Loose sheets of paper and pencils must be used to take written notes. Pens and other markers are prohibited.
- One folder may be out of a box at a time and the designated marker must be inserted as a place holder.
- Materials must remain in the existing order. If an error is thought to exist, notify a staff member.
- Photographs must be examined using the provided gloves.
- Photocopy requests must be completed using the proper form.
- All materials will be collected by staff 15 minutes prior to closing.
- Belongings must be presented for inspection before leaving.