TexShare Advisory Board Meeting

January 22, 1999

Meeting Notes

Meeting Location: Perry-Castañeda Library, The General Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin



Advisory Board: Paul Dumont (Dallas County Community College District), Marsha W. Harper (Abilene Christian University), George Huffman (Amarillo College), J. Grant Jones (Abilene), Dr. S. Joe McCord (University of Houston - Clear Lake), Gilda Baeza Ortego (Sul Ross State University), Robert A. Seal (Texas Christian University)

Coordinating Council: Jay Clark (San Jacinto Community College), Jo Anne Hawkins (University of Texas at Austin), Kathryn Hoffman (University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center), Sara Lowman (Rice University), Sue Phillips (University of Texas at Austin), Michael Piper (Texas State Library and Archives Commission), Mark McFarland (University of Texas at Austin)

Texas State Library and Archives Commission: Dr. Robert Martin,

Visitors: Norman R. Hood (Independent Colleges & Universities of Texas)

Recorder: Renulfo (Rue) Ramirez (University of Texas at Austin)



Advisory Board: Marty Adamson (University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas), Nelda Laney (Hale Center)

Coordinating Council: Bonnie Juergens (AMIGOS Bibliographic Council, Inc.)



Robert Seal, TexShare Advisory Board Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. and welcomed everyone in attendance. Board members introduced themselves.



Board members accepted the agenda.



Bob Martin provided an update on legislative issues relating to TexShare.

Appropriations --Bob informed the group that the Legislative Budget Board has recommended a no-growth budget with any exceptional items to be addressed during the course of the session. He outlined how the Texas State Library and Archives Commission is asking for an additional three million dollars to expand services to current TexShare members, including more electronic resources. None of these items on the Library's "Exceptional Items" list has made it into the current draft appropriations bill before the House.

A request was made by Representative Robert Junell (San Angelo) for a list of items on the exceptional items list. This list will be used to prepare for a presentation before the House Appropriations Committee. Bob reiterated that everyone associated with TexShare would have to be resolved to work through the legislative process.

Bob reminded everyone that Lieutenant Governor Rick Perry had just made Senate committee appointments (on Thursday, January 21) and that the Senate Finance Committee had changed its roster


Bob was asked where in the appropriations bill TexShare is to be found. Bob responded that TexShare is included within the TSLAC appropriations request.

TexShare Bill -- Bob Martin distributed copies of the latest version of the TexShare expansion bill which seeks to add public libraries. The bill is being promoted as part of the continuing evolution of TexShare and includes a section (§441.209) to amend the government code to extend the current purchasing exemption for libraries in institutions of higher education to include resource-sharing programs operated by the State Library. Among other revisions, Bob pointed out that the position of secretary had been stricken as an elected board position.

The bill has been given to its House sponsor, Representative Bob Hunter (Abilene), but it has not been filed yet. A Senate sponsor is being recruited, possibly Senator Teel Bivens. Dr. Martin feels that the bill will be received quietly and viewed as non-controversial. The fiscal note to be attached to the bill will have a cost estimate of zero. The cost of the bill is seen to be part of the normal evolution of TexShare and since any additional services and funding are tied to TSLAC's appropriations, there are obvious uncertainties about the actual process for carrying out the bill's mandate. However, the advisory board will control any policies that are needed.


Bob was asked to explain how TSLAC is helping public libraries now. He provided a brief description of the Texas Library System and the Texas State Electronic Library, which provides shared database access. Bob was asked if public libraries currently pay any fees to use the databases. His answer was no, these services are paid for by a combination of state library and federal (LSTA) funds. He reminded everyone that the program and its funding are heading towards a convergence with TexShare but the structure and delivery are to be determined.

Bob was asked if public libraries expect to participate in TexShare right away (should the bill pass), especially since the bill carries a zero fiscal note. He responded that such access is dependent on TSLAC's final funding and pointed out that Section 3 of the bill states that the expansion will be carried out "to the extent of available appropriations."

Bob was asked why language in §441.209 referring to the makeup of the advisory board was deleted. The language specifically said that two members of the board would come from four-year public universities, two would come from public community colleges, and two would come from private institutions. Bob pointed out that there are other groups (medical and law institutions) which weren't included in that list. Since increasing the size of the advisory board (currently 9) is not a satisfactory option, especially since no travel funds are available to members, it was decided to drop the language.

Bob was asked why the bill contains language that says it will "establish" TexShare when it already exists. He pointed out that the bill is a revision of existing language and incorporates additions and deletions but that much of the original language is still evident. In looking over the bill, Bob pointed out a printing error in §441.203, (2) -- a bracketed clause that reads "[at institutions of higher education]" should have been stricken through (deleted).

A question was asked about TLA's Legislative Committee and its role in lobbying for the bill. Bob replied that TLA will definitely play a role but he doesn't think that the bill will need lots of testimony. It is set to go to House Committee on State, Federal and International Relations. When asked about the current makeup of Senate Committees, Bob distributed copies of the new committee appointments (information taken from http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/Archives/p012199a.htm)


AUSTIN - Lt. Governor Rick Perry announced committee chairs and membership today.

The following committees were appointed.

Administration - Chris Harris, Chair; Frank L. Madla, Vice-Chair; Florence Shapiro, Rodney Ellis, John Whitmire

Criminal Justice - Ken Armbrister, Chair; Robert Duncan, Vice-Chair; Jane Nelson, Mike Jackson, John Whitmire, Royce West, Florence Shapiro

Economic Development - David Sibley, Chair; Ken Armbrister, Vice-Chair; Frank L. Madla, John Carona, Troy Fraser, Mike Jackson, John Whitmire

Economic Development: Subcommittee on Technology & Business Growth - Troy Fraser, Chair; Frank L. Madla, Vice-Chair; Mike Jackson, John Carona, John Whitmire

Education - Teel Bivins, Chair; Gregory Luna, Vice-Chair; Jane Nelson, Steve Ogden, David Sibley, Royce West, Judith Zaffirini, Bill Ratliff, David Cain

Education: Subcommittee on Higher Education - Royce West, Chair; Steve Ogden, Vice-Chair; Bill Ratliff, Judith Zaffirini, Jane Nelson

Finance - Bill Ratliff, Chair; Carlos F. Truan, Vice-Chair; Mario Gallegos, Jon Lindsay, Royce West, Steve Ogden, Mike Moncrief, Troy Fraser, Gonzalo Barrientos, Robert Duncan, John Carona

Health Services - Jane Nelson, Chair; Mike Moncrief, Vice-Chair; Frank L. Madla, Jon Lindsay, Drew Nixon

Human Services - Judith Zaffirini, Chair; John Carona, Vice-Chair; Mario Gallegos, David Bernsen, Chris Harris

Intergovernmental Relations - Frank L. Madla, Chair; Jon Lindsay, Vice-Chair; Mike Moncrief, Rodney Ellis, Drew Nixon

Jurisprudence - Rodney Ellis, Chair; Chris Harris, Vice-Chair; J.E.'Buster' Brown, Gregory Luna, Jeff Wentworth

Natural Resources - J.E. 'Buster' Brown, Chair; Ken Armbrister, Vice-Chair; Bill Ratliff, Eddie Lucio Jr., Teel Bivins, Gonzalo Barrientos, Tom Haywood

Natural Resources: Subcommittee on Agriculture - Tom Haywood, Chair; Teel Bivins, Vice-Chair; Ken Armbrister

Nominations - Jeff Wentworth, Chair; Mario Gallegos, Vice-Chair; Mike Jackson, David Bernsen, J.E. 'Buster' Brown, Gonzalo Barrientos, Tom Haywood

Special Committee on Border Affairs - Eddie Lucio Jr., Chair; David Sibley, Vice-Chair; Eliot Shapleigh, Robert Duncan, Teel Bivins, Judith Zaffirini, Carlos F. Truan

Special Committee on Electric Utility Restructuring - David Sibley, Chair; David Cain, Vice-Chair; Jane Nelson, Ken Armbrister, Gonzalo Barrientos, Teel Bivins, Troy Fraser

State Affairs - Florence Shapiro, Chair; Eliot Shapleigh, Vice-Chair; Eddie Lucio Jr., David Cain, Drew Nixon, J.E. 'Buster' Brown, David Bernsen, Tom Haywood, Jeff Wentworth

State Affairs: Subcommittee on Infrastructure - David Cain, Chair; J.E. 'Buster' Brown, Vice-Chair; Eddie Lucio Jr., David Bernsen, Drew Nixon

Veteran Affairs & Military Installations - Carlos F. Truan, Chair; Gregory Luna, Vice-Chair; Troy Fraser, Eliot Shapleigh, Steve Ogden

Bob Martin told about visiting Representative Hunter, who spoke of telling his committee members that he wanted them to be more proactive about issues that the committee endorses. Bob Seal told of visiting his district's Senator, Mike Moncrief, with his university's chancellor.



Bob Seal opened discussion about the date for the next Advisory Board Committee meeting. The next scheduled meeting happens to conflict with the next Texas State Library and Archives Commission meeting, which will commemorate the 90th anniversary of TSLAC, and with the 25th anniversary of AMIGOS. With TLA's conference scheduled for late April, the best time will be late March or early April. After discussion, it was unanimously agreed that the next meeting would be in Dallas on March 22, 1999 at the new AMIGOS headquarters from 10am to 3pm.

The date of the summer meeting is to be determined later.



TexShare Card

Jay Clark reported the following:

• Revision of roster

- Bill Mears, Library Director of Southwest Texas State University has been reappointed as chair.

- Suzanne McAnna, University of Texas at Austin, has been appointed to the group.

• Planned meeting at TLA conference by the Chair

- Consideration needs to be given about how statistics will be reported. Currently, these statistics are reported by library, district, or other governing body. The group will recommend that they be reported by library.

- Consideration also needs to be given about integrating public libraries into the TexShare Card program. What changes will be required in the contract?

- Are there other changes in the Card contract needed?

• The group recommends appointing a librarian as liaison to the working group from a public library before the TLA conference (as was done previously for community colleges). There was some discussion about exactly how this was done last time. It was agreed that a letter from Bob Seal to TLA asking for recommendations would be prepared and sent. Jay reiterated that he would like a name before the TexShare Card working group's next meeting.

Texas Collections

Kathy Hoffman reported the following.

• The group met in December and recommended seven grant proposals for funding. These were approved by TSLAC at its last meeting. The group is working with TSLAC to award the total grant amount of $100,000.

• The group intends to do more to promote the grant process. Suggestions were made by other board members, ranging from news releases to color brochures that publicize the problem. The board and the working group will work together to develop these ideas.

• Kathy reminded the board that the next grant cycle begins in mid-March which will help to mesh with the TSLAC grant cycle. Awards will be made in September. The total amount will again be $100,000 with a maximum award of $20,000. There are already a variety of applicants.

TExpress Courier Service:

Jo Anne Hawkins reported the following.

• For the benefit of new board members and visitors, Jo Anne gave a brief historical overview of the working group and the courier service.

- There are currently 83 participants, along with 13 "other" stops that include the Texas State Library, AMIGOS, and several large public libraries.

- Total of 96 site stops.

• Jo Anne then gave a brief synopsis of recent events involving a change in the courier service. The previous provider, Corporate Express Delivery Service (CEDS), was involved in a corporate takeover and found itself not able to follow through on its contract. Bonnie Juergens was able to find a replacement company, Marquis Messengers (MM), that agreed to take on the contract at the same price. This was possible in part because CEDS was piggybacking its service onto a banking courier service and MM is piggybacking onto a photo processing courier service. However, one change is that there are now fewer hub cities for the courier service.

• There have been very few problems since MM took over the contract on January 4, 1999. MM has been making quality control calls to courier users to make sure that everyone is happy. Jo Anne asked for verification from present board members that their libraries had been contacted and there were some nods of assent.

• Jo Anne then spoke about necessary changes in the current pricing structure.

- Previously, participants had a choice between 5-day a week service for $1,850 or 2-day service for $1,400. Most libraries chose the 5-day service with about 10 choosing 2-day.

- As the 2-day option presents difficulties for MM's couriers, for 1999, only 5-day service will be available. The decision was made to subsidize the former 2-day libraries for this year only. The full price for 5-day service is $2,100 but former 2-day users will get a temporary discount and will pay $1,600. If money is available later, TexShare will be able to subsidize TExpress and offer the service to libraries essentially at 1998 prices with a subsidy of $250-$500 per participating library.

• Jo Anne reminded everyone that former group chair Gary Ives, UTMB, is leaving his position on the group as statistics coordinator. The statistics process still needs work and it will be later in February before the group is able to distribute statistics for 1998.

• Jo Anne detailed how she had conducted an unscientific sampling of some participating libraries (UT, SWTSU, Baylor, Our Lady of the Lake, Southwestern Medical, UH Clear Lake, DCCD, and the Abilene Consortium). During the past year, these libraries sent a total of 15,601 packages, which times the library rate of $1.58 for a two-pound package is $24,650, minus the total TExpress cost of $14,800 for these libraries, which is a savings of almost $10,000.

However, the greater saving may be in efficiency of operations and faster service. UT ILS Librarian Nancy Paine reports that turnaround time for items sent via TExpress averaged 8.29 days, including in-house processing time for both borrowing and lending libraries and shipping time, the best performance her operation ever experienced.

• The working group has two new members and a new chair, Carolyn Thorne. The group is seeking to improve its web presence on the TexShare web site. The next meeting will be in Austin in February.



Michael Piper spoke briefly for Bonnie Juergens (absent).

• The new working group will work to analyze the results of a recent survey on training. Bonnie will report when analysis is complete

• Training is scheduled through February and March to include

- ARIEL training

- ILL training for new Texas Group participants (participation in the Texas Group is now a requirement of the TexShare ILL Protocol, and

- Copyright and the Internet, February 8 in Lubbock and the other is not scheduled but will be in the Valley.


Electronic Information:

Sue Phillips introduced Mark McFarland who reported the following.

• The hardware upgrade installation of the new Sun TexShare server is taking longer than expected. Two missing drive interface cards will be replaced by Sun this week and the installation should be completed by late next week. The server will be phased into production thereafter.

• Mark addressed concerns that TexShare users are having about recent changes to the Ovid interface search engine. The most recent upgrade has resulted in a "problem" with the Citation Manager. Ovid made changes to the layout for the Citation Manager that now includes another step to choose full-text as an option for printing citations. This has confused users and frustrated libraries that have prepared printed resources to teach how to use Ovid. The next release is supposed to address this problem and will be available in 1999.


News about the new server prompted a question about turnaways and whether the new machine will be capable of handling TexShare's increased user load. Mark responded with a "yes."

The Ovid update then prompted some discussion about TexShare's relationship with Ovid. TexShare currently has a three-year commitment to Ovid that includes very favorable pricing.

Mark and Sue provided some background information about resources similar to Ovid.


Interlibrary Loan

Sara Lowman reported the following.

• Nancy Paine (UT Austin) has been reappointed as the chair.

• First 1999 meeting is scheduled for February. The board was asked to forward its concerns to the group.

• Load leveling measures appear to be working. New ILL statistics are online at the TexShare web site (http://www.texshare.edu/About/groups/LibLoan/stats98-99.html)

• The ARIEL report is still in process.

• The group is planning another workshop in November.




Michael Piper opened with a brief review of the current tier structure and how schools are assigned. The Board has stated that it wants TexShare staff to review tier assignments every other year.

Michael provided handouts for community colleges, public and independent institutions that provide school data (enrollment and collection size) along with current and proposed tier assignments. In all, 29 schools will be affected -- six schools will go from tier 2 to tier 3 -- and 23 schools will move up a tier -- six will go from tier 2 to tier 1 and 17 will go from tier 3 to tier 2.


There was a request for further clarification of the methodology behind the tier assignments. Michael reviewed the guidelines with special emphasis on tier 3 where both criteria must be met.

Tier 1: Over 750,000 volumes or over 10,000 enrollment

Tier 2: 100,000 - 749,000 volumes or 2,001-9,999 enrollment

Tier 3: Under 100,000 volumes and 2,000 or less enrollment

Bob Martin reminded everyone t agreed and made the point that there is no membership fee to join TexShare and calling using the term "participation fee" could be confusing.

Several board members pointed out that having 23 schools move up in their tier assignments would translate into slightly more money being collected for information access. There was some discussion about whether this review of tier assignments should be revenue-neutral. This was countered by discussion about the difficulty in recalculating fees for all schools and the confusion that this could cause. The board unanimously agreed to leave the information access fee amounts as is and to review them at a later date. Any surplus money will be used to purchase more electronic resources.

Michael was questioned about which tier to assign to the few schools which have not submitted statistics. The TexShare Coordinating Council has suggested that schools not providing statistics would automatically be assigned to Tier 1. This raised some concern but should prove an adequate incentive for schools to turn in statistics.

Paul Dumont moved that the board accept the proposed tier assignments and retain current tier amounts for FY2000. Marsha Harper seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

TexShare staff will move to apprise TexShare members of their tier assignments. Any proposed information access fee amounts are subject to review following results of the legislative session.



Upon acceptance of the proposed new tier assignments, the next order of business was to provide an appeal process for schools that are not satisfied with their assignments. Michael Piper provided the board with a proposed procedure that follows.

• If a TexShare member is unhappy with their tier assignment, [the library director will] submit written clarification about their tier placement to the Coordinating Council. After reviewing this information, the Council will then make a recommendation to the TexShare Advisory Board.

• Based on this review, the TexShare Advisory Board will make its recommendation to Dr. [Robert] Martin [,Director and Librarian] for final action.

• If the [TexShare member] remains dissatisfied after this review, the member can invoke the State Library's established protest procedure, and take their case to the State Library Advisory Commission.

A copy of the established protest procedure (13 TAC 2.55) was distributed. This document is available at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/tac/13/I/2/A/2.55.html

The board asked that TexShare staff incorporate language from the TSLAC protest procedure about the type of information which libraries need to provide in their appeal.

Paul Dumont moved that the board accept the proposed tier assignment appeal process. Gilda Baeza Ortego seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.



Based on a recommendation from the Coordinating Council, the Board agreed to reprogram $85,000 in the current fiscal year 1999 TexShare budget as follows:

• $30,000 to partially subsidize the courier service. Libraries with daily delivery will pay the same amount as last year. A subsidy of $250-$500 per library will enable libraries with two-day service to upgrade to daily service for $1,600/year, only $200 more than they paid previously.

This is an interim approach. State Library has requested funding to fully subsidize the courier next year for all TexShare members. If this request is denied, all libraries will pay the full amount next year (projected $2,100 per year).

• $55,000 for database subscriptions to be recommended by the Electronic Information Working Group. Sue Phillips asked for clarification as to whether this $55,000 will be considered as one-time funding or will it be a continuing budget item. The board answered that it would be considered to be continuing. It's likely that the amount will be used to offset costs for several new Ovid databases -- Books In Print, CINAHL, the Ovid Nursing Collection, and the Lippincott Collection (Nursing) -- with final pricing details to be announced later.

George Huffman moved that the board accept the budget re-allocation. Joe McCord seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.



Michael Piper distributed a preliminary agenda for the TexShare Program at Texas Library Association Conference, scheduled for 8:00 - 9:50 AM on Friday, April 23. The agenda is set to include testimonials about TexShare services, a legislative update, the future of TexShare, and a question and answer period.

Bob Seal encouraged Board members to participate as there is likely to be a great deal of interest, particularly from public libraries. The Board authorized staff to continue working with Bob and other Board members to plan the TexShare program.



There was no old business.



Chair Bob Seal thanked the TexShare Coordinating Council for doing a great job. Their work has benefited the Advisory Board.

A question was raised about how best to handle the numerous handouts for the Board's meetings. Suggestions were made to continue using e-mail and pre-made copies. Chair Bob Seal reminded those present to try to use as few attachments as possible in e-mail because of common problems in translation among mail programs. A suggestion was made to highlight items on the agenda that have associated handouts. Because of timing and logistic problems, it was agreed that making copies on the premises where the meeting is to be held on an as-needed basis is still desirable.

Joe McCord, University of Houston-Clear Lake, gave a brief verbal report and printed copies of a report on his recent visit to the Universidad Veracruzana in Mexico. Joe's trip included discussions about developing library resource sharing, especially electronic resources.

Mark McFarland announced the imminent debut (February 15) of the New Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/. The electronic version of the 6-volume printed edition will be universally available and will allow users to submit their own facts and anecdotes for review and possible inclusion.

Joe McCord reminded those in attendance that the TIF board would be awarding non-competitive grants to 4-year institutions. Norman Hood added that these grants would be for infrastructure, automation, hardware, or software in support of libraries and distance education. The application process begins in February. Law and medical libraries will be addressed separately


Chair Bob Seal adjourned the meeting at 12:55 p.m.

Page last modified: January 28, 2011