Fear, Force, and Leather: The Texas Prison System&rsquot;s First Hundred Years 1848-1948

D.M. Short to Governor Oran M. Roberts, July 19, 1879

Page 3

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Back to exhibit

D.M. Short to Governor Roberts, July 1879

3.

In reference to and because of these abuses Sergeant
Randall on the report of Commissioner Gaines was discharged
by the lessees[.] [E]fforts are already being made to ar-
raign Ex Sargeant [sic] before the bar of public justice.
Sergeant McLeroy succeded [sic] Randall about the 25th
of December AD 1878[.] [D]uring his administration two cases
of death occurred among the convicts[,] both from dis-
ease[.] His administration seems to have been mild
and almost unobjectionable[.] [T]he convicts were
feed [sic][,] well clothed[,] well cared for in sickness and
in health[,] never overworked[,] and after a term of
four months [McLeroy] lost his sitution [sic] by a single act of
disobedience to the Instructions of his superiors[,]
to wit whipping a convict contrary the rules. In jus-
tice to this officer he was afterwards reinstated and
now has charge of another camp.

Sergeant Kelly succeed-
ed McLeroy in the month of April and still continues
in charge of the camp near Mineola[.] [I]t is situted [sic] about
two miles from the town on a high[,] dry and healthy
location with good springs and a bold running branch
in its vicinity. Has 64 convicts—the prison building is
46 ft. long and about 22 wide with an [sic] copper and
lower tier of bunks[,] is well ventilated and as commo=
dious as it well could be under the circumstances—
and though not as neat and clean as a parlor yet with
all the surroundings could not well be improved upon.

The camp was visited by Major Goree, Senator Buchanon[,] Deputy Sheriffs
Peguer [?] & McDaniel and the convicts were generally interviewed

 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Back to exhibit

D.M. Short to Governor Oran M. Roberts, July 19, 1879. Assistant Superintendent/Inspector, Reports, Records Relating to the Penitentiary, Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.

Page last modified: August 16, 2011