Many professional organizations offer free educational webinars, podcasts, and other training opportunities to help users stay up-to-date on current archives and records management topics.
- Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM) http://www.aiim.org/ offers training on several electronic records management topics, including SharePoint, Enterprise Content Management, Business Process Management, and Social Media Governance.
- ARMA International (formerly the Association of Records Managers and Administrators) https://www.arma.org/ offers web seminars and online courses in a variety of records management topics. Training opportunities are also available through local ARMA chapters in Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Midland, and San Antonio. Check with your local chapter for upcoming training events.
- MER Conference (National Conference on Managing Electronic Records). http://www.merconference.com/ Through formal sessions, associated networking events, and exhibitors, MER seeks to provide attendees with innovative and practical solutions to managing electronic records. The MER is offered once a year, with pre-conference tutorials.
- National Association for Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA) http://www.nagara.org/ hosts an annual conference (sometimes teaming with the Council of State Archivists (CoSA) or Society of American Archivists (SAA)) that focuses on topics of interest to government records managers and archivists. They also offer the Local Government Archives and Records Administration Certificate Program.
- Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) - http://dir.texas.gov/View-Resources/Landing.aspx offers training for Information Resource Managers (IRM) and maintains a list of companies offering free e-learning opportunities.
Public Information Act (Open Records)/ Open Meetings Act
For training on the Texas Public Information Act and Texas Open Meetings Act, refer to the Office of the Attorney General's Open Government Training.
- American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) http://www.aaslh.org/onlinelearningcenter.htm offers online workshops, webinars, and podcasts on topics related to American state and local history. The training includes a self-paced “The Basics of Archives” class, which is designed for professional staff and volunteers of historical organizations and libraries with historical collections who have little to no experience with archival materials.
- Connecting to Collections - http://www.connectingtocollections.org/courses/about/ is a partnership of the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Heritage Preservation, and the American Association of State and Local History. Their training focuses on preservation of archival record collections and museum collections and is geared to smaller museums, libraries, archives, and historical societies.
- Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) http://www.nedcc.org/home.php NEDCC's Preservation Services staff and conservators offer a variety of programs each year to help cultural institutions and individuals preserve their valuable collections.
- Society of American Archivists (SAA) - http://www2.archivists.org/ SAA is a professional organization for archivists: professionals who preserve and provide access to historical records. They offer face-to-face workshops and webinars taught by archives practitioners. Their curriculum includes the Digital Archives Specialist certificate program, which is aimed at teaching archivists (and, in some cases, records managers) how to appraise, capture, preserve, and provide access to electronic records.
- Society of Southwest Archivists (SSA) - http://www.southwestarchivists.org/ SSA is a professional organization for archivists in the Southwest region (Arizona, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas), but membership is open to anyone. SSA hosts an annual meeting, usually featuring pre-conference workshops on a number of archives topics.
Can't find what you're looking for? Email email@example.com or call 512-463-7610.