8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Talking Book Program
Texas State Library and
PO Box 12927
Austin TX 78711-2927
Apps & Playback Equipment
Eligible TBP users can download apps for iOS and Android from the National Library Service BARD to download magazines, books, and braille items. Downloaded books are yours to keep!
Go to the TBP BARD page for BARD application instructions.
Eligible TBP users receive a player and book cartridges for free through the mail.
- Digital Talking Book Machine (DTBM) – Provided for free for eligible TBP patrons. Patrons us the DTBM to play book cartridges and play downloaded books from the BARD service
- Book Cartridges – Provided for free for eligible TBP patrons. Books to play on the DTBM come in cartridges
- Zoomax Braille eReader – Provided for free for eligible TBP braille patrons.
NLS eReader Zoomax How-To Series. (Available on YouTube.)
Features - DTBM
- Users use the DTBM play book cartridges and play downloaded books from the BARD service
- Three types are available: simplified controls, advanced controls, or amplification capabilities
- All DTBMs have have speed, volume, and pitch controls, sleep buttons, and announce their serial numbers at the touch of a button
- DTBMs have rechargeable batteries. Books can be read while the DTBM is charging
- DTBM tells you its available battery play hours every time you turn it on
- DTBM machine is fully charged before delivery
- Adaptive attachments are available. Contact TBP about accessories.
- Audio instructions can be set for English or Spanish
Maintenance - DTBM
- Recharge the DTBM battery by plugging the machine into a standard electrical outlet
- Clean with slightly damp cloth. Do not have the DTBM get wet
- Keep your player out of reach of pets
- Do not eat or drink near the player
- Keep in a clean and safe storage area when not in use
- Contact Talking Books with any DTBM issues
- Replacement of broken DTBMs will be sent once the broken DTBM is received
Maintenance - Cartridges
- Digital cartridges can only be played on DTBMs and on commercial players that have special arrangements and software from NLS. Contact TBP with questions about personal commercial players.
- Cartridges are flash media with space for multiple books
- Cartridges have no moving parts and never need to be flipped over or rewound
- Contact Talking Books with any cartridge issues
Contact TBP With Any Questions or Comments
Call toll free in Texas at 1-800-252-9605, or 512-463-5458 (Austin area) or email firstname.lastname@example.org , or fax to 512-936-0685 from 8 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 5 pm Monday - Friday